Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) Millenium Knickerbocker

velocitygrl
By velocitygrl,
in

Hi All,

Just wanted you to know that I won 4* Millenium Knickerbocker in NMA on priceline for $110. Dates of stay are 3/22/07-3/27/07. I'm attending a conference for the dates of 3/25-27, and wanted to stay over the previous weekend for fun.

Bid History (I accessed priceline through savingsbarn):

Bid $50 for 4*Millenium Park/Loop- Rejected

Bid $55 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop + NMA - Rejected

Changed Dates to 3/25-3/27

Bid $57 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop- Rejected

Bid $60 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop + NMA - Rejected

Bid $62 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop + NMA + Midway- Rejected

Bid $70 for 4* or Boutique Millenium Park/Loop + NMA + Midway- Rejected

Waited 24 hours Changed Dates back to 3/22-3/27

Bid $75 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop- Rejected

Bid $80 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop + NMA - Rejected

Bid $85 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop + NMA + Midway- Rejected

Waited 24 hours (Dates 3/22-3/27)

Bid $90 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop- Rejected

Bid $100 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop + NMA - Rejected

Bid $110 for 4* Millenium Park/Loop + NMA + Midway- Accepted!- Millennium Knickerbocker.

Can anyone give me any advice about where to park my car? Last time, I parked in the Grant Park/Millenium Park parking because I was staying at the Hyatt Regency. Is there any better/closer/cheaper options for me? I need it to be cheap and safe (for both car and myself obviously).

I'm a little nervous due to the reviews of the knickerbocker on tripadvisor, but the hotels seem to be a bit expensive for my budget on that week, and this is the best price I've seen for a few days of checking hotwire and other sites (like Quikbook).

Any suggestions about theater or concert options that weekend? General restaurant or sight-seeing advice would also be great. I've been to Chicago before a couple of times, but my boyfriend has never spent much time there (only a quick trip to the art institute previously).

Thanks to everyone for advice and info on this board.

Congratulations on your win!

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and for using the SavingsBarn.com PRICELINE links to begin your bidding.

I'm sure AaronJB will see be able to offer comments on this property, parking, et al, once he sees this thread... he's from the area and knows it very well.

Thanks again for the post and enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Millennium Knickerbocker is a historic hotel that's been through quite a lot over the years, from being one of Capone's hideouts in the 20's to being the Playboy Club in the 70's. It was also home to Darryl Hannah, who apparently lived at the MK during part of her childhood. The hotel rooms there are hit-and-miss in terms of wear and are not "modern" - they do feel like another era. I don't think the hotel is as bad as the worst reviews note, but it is in need of some TLC, which it will get when the hotel is renovated at some point this year. Rooms are definitely on the smaller side, but that's also true of Chicago's other older properties (and of some newer hotels, such as the W City Centre, that took over older properties - - in that case, the Midland Hotel). As of right now, the MK is one of Chicago's "previously prime" hotels (see also: the nearby Whitehall and Ambassador East) that have been overshadowed by their sleeker neighbors and haven't tried to "catch up" like other historic hotels that have tried to be a bit more modern (see: The Intercontinental, the Drake, etc.). The location is terrific, across of the Drake and half a block from the North end of North Michigan Ave.

Parking, unfortunately, is not my area of expertise - I don't drive so I'm not familiar with local lots. Parking is going to pricey in that North end of NMA (and there seems like fewer lots than in the South end of NMA) and in the nearby Gold Coast (the main lot I can think of there would be a couple of doors North of the corner of State and Division, on the East side of the street; not sure of the rates), but lots will be safe. I've read of a Sterling Self-Park on Kinzie for $6 on weekends, but that would definitely be a fair distance (although walkable on a decent day) from the MK (although, for $6 it may be worth the trip). Here is the number I found for the lot. This is the number I found for the lot (I haven't called it myself and I found it listed online, so please don't blame me if it's something else; I'm just the messenger lol :) (312-341-3463). If you wanted to park at Millennium Park again, it'd be easy to take the "L" up to near where the MK is.

If it's a nice weekend weather-wise (and it has been unusually warm lately), you could head half a block West to Michigan Ave, then a block North to Oak Street. Walk West on Oak Street and you'll pass through the block-long Oak Street boutiques (Barneys New York, etc.) When you reach Rush Street (end of the block; Rush and Oak), head North on Rush (which will shortly become State) and you'll pass through the Gold Coast area, which has quite a few restaurants (Morton's Steak House, Big Bowl - the latter is Thai) and upscale bars. Keep walking North on State and you'll head through several blocks of beautiful, in some cases classic/historic upscale apartments. When you get past the apartment area, you'll see the beginning of Lincoln Park. The Chicago Historical Society, which recently reopened, is on North and Clark, a few blocks West of this point. Otherwise, keep walking North into the park for another few minutes. You'll eventually come across the South end of the Lincoln Park Zoo (Farm in the Zoo.) The Lincoln Park Zoo is free, and a really nice zoo in many regards. The Old Town neighborhood (North and Wells; a little bit North on Wells and a few blocks South on Wells) is also nearby - the Second City Theatre and Zanies are located there.

The Museum of Contemporary Art is right nearby, but I'd honestly recommend skipping it unless they're showing a special exhibit you're interested in. It's a large, sleek museum that, unfortunately, has always struck me as being pretty sparse for a $10 admission. Don't spend a great deal of time at Navy Pier, although if you do go, I'd stop at Fox and Obel Market and Cafe (fox-obel.com), which is a few blocks East of Navy Pier on Illinois and McClurg. For an easier way to get directly to Navy Pier, walk East until you get to Lake Shore Drive and then walk S on Lake Shore Drive. You'll eventually get to Grand. Walk 1 block further South and a couple of blocks West to Fox and Obel. Otherwise, head East on Grand a couple of blocks to Navy Pier.

The Hancock Observatory/Signature Room is a couple of blocks South of your hotel; can't miss it. The Art Institute is a great choice, but this time around you may want to check ou the Field Museum or the Shedd Aquarium. The 146 bus goes along Michigan Avenue. Take that headed South and it will eventually get you to the Museum Campus (Field, Shedd, Adler Planetarium.)

Head to the visitor's center nearby (1 block South of Water Tower Mall on Michigan Ave on the East side of the street; the entrance is on the North side of the building) to see if they have any "Chicago Guidebook of Values" books (free coupon books for local restaurants/attractions) They're little blue books that should be out on the racks. If not, ask at the info desk. In that visitor's center, there's also a hot Tix counter (discount theatre tickets, sort of like the Chicago version of NYC's TKTS), so you could see what they're offering for your dates. There's also a website: http://www.hottix.org/

There doesn't appear to be anything much going on concert wise that I can see on Ticketmaster.

Just a thought...will you have need to access your car the whole trip? On my last trip to Chicago I parked the car at Midway and took the L to my hotel. Trip advisor has a great thread for where to get off, etc.

http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Show...o_Illinois.html

The folks in tripadvisor forums are nice for the most part and can also help with things to do, etc.

Good luck with your trip...I am visiting again in May to see everything I missed in August. Trying to scope out prices for hotels right now

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]