Hotwire Hotel: 3* Chicago (Mag Mile-Streeterville) Homewood Suites

Uncle Freddie
By Uncle Freddie,
in

Anyone know which hotel this is? Staying Mar 25-27th, cost per night is only $64. Seems cheap.

I have read good things about the Intercontinental, could that be the hotel listed as a 4* Mag Mile-Streeterville area for $128?

I want to surprise my wife with a spring break trip, she has always wanted to go to Chicago. Is the second hotel the Intercontinental, and is it really worth twice as much?

We are going to walk, sight see, shop, eat, drink, and pass out. Don't really need a pool, but want a quality hotel with a decent room, would like a nice view.

Any suggestions, other than what is up top?

Any ideas which hotels listed would have a lake view?

The 3* NMA/Water Tower/GC that I'm seeing for those dates is very likely the Tremont, which, despite a good location, I wouldn't recommend even for that price.

Not sure of what the 4* could be.

There are no 4* hotels in downtown Chicago where a lake view is a given. Some hotels (W Lakeshore, Embassy Suites) do have it in some rooms, but charge a premium. Some Sheraton Towers rooms may have a lake view. Some Drake rooms may have a lake view, Sutton Place has some lakeview rooms (premium), some Hilton Towers rooms may have a lakeview. There may be some rooms at the Intercontinental with a lakeview. There are also some hotels with river view, but they also charge a premium for that in many cases.

Overall, if a lakeview is a must, then I would book with the hotel directly.

What is your max budget for a room?

$130-140 is about the max. Lakeview not a neccesity. Just want a quality room where we can park the car and not drive it for two days.

I read up on the Tremont, it looks like a place to crash, thats about it. Nice location, but a dump.

What about the 4* NMA at $103? It has fitness, rest, business, and hi speed.

The 4* with pool and spa is intriguing to me. I just wish I knew what it was.

The 4* could be the Ambassador East, Drake or Westin (although the Drake and Westin would be very unlikely), but it also looks like it could be the Millennium Knickerbocker with different amenities than usual.

Personally, I'd highly recommend the Mag Mile/Streeterville 4*; while I'm not sure exactly what that is, the possibilities in that area would be better, I think.

Let me see what else I can find

I'm not seeing a listing with that description for 3/25-27 when I pull up those dates, but if you are, a 3* suite, breakfast, pool, fitness, kitchenette in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area would be a possible match for the excellent Homewood Suites. If that is the Homewood, the pool's indoor.

Uncle Freddie,

Please do not post links to HOTWIRE showing the hotel(s) you are being offered... due t the way they are constructed, those links will only work on your own computer and for a limited time (so even if others can see them, there will be future uses who view the threads on the board in the days, weeks, months, and years to come... who will then be in the dark regarding the hotel).

Please list the star ratings and amenities of the hotels you are interested in (and also please remember to use our HOTWIRE link to begin your searches and purchases).

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The listing I'm seeing now is Suite/breakfast/fitness/pool/business/hi-speed and kitchenette, which looks more like one of the Embassy Suites properties (downtown being the one that comes up more often.) Either the Embassy Suites or the Homewood would be a bit of a walk to Wicked, but I'd personally recommend still going with this particular listing (which is a great deal for either the Embassy or Homewood) and either walking a bit further (it's not too bad a walk) or taking public transit - subway or bus.

Ended up with 3* Mag Mile/Streeterville Suite, etc as above for $89 for 3/26-3/27 2007.

Homewood Suites, as you said it was. Amenities listed were - Suite/breakfast/fitness/pool/business/hi-speed and kitchenette

Looks pretty nice, half a mile from the Ford Theatre, a block from everything else!! Plus, a pool!

Any ideas on making sure that I get a more top floor room? Should I wait until I check in, or call today?

I did that with the Crowne Plaza in Cleveland off Hotwire, was told on the phone that they would put me as high as possible, ended up on the 12th floor (place had I think 21 or 22 floors, so Lake Erie was blocked by the Great Lakes science center.

Congratulations on your win... glad you got the hotel you expected.

Can you please add the full list of amenities shown before your purchase so that we can accurately update this property in the Hotwire Hotel List. You can still view the amenities by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thanks, and enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Homewood is a terrific hotel, with very nice suites that have full kitchen and living area. There's also two TV's - one in the living room and one in the BR. The free breakfast is very nice and takes place in a large dining area just off the lobby.

The pool there is very nice and, if I remember correctly, on nearly the top floor (or on the top floor), with a pleasant view of the surrounding area.

Michigan Ave. is essentially a block or two away. Lot of restaurants nearby, including California Pizza Kitchen, Big Bowl (bigbowl.com; thai), Heaven On Seven (Cajun), Uno's, Due's (Pizza); there is also a Trader Joe's grocery right there, too. Just a bit West are Hard Rock Cafe, Portillo's, Fogo De Chao and many others.

Walk a couple of blocks West to Grand and State and there's a subway station there. Take that 1 stop South to the Lake station and you're not far from the Ford Theatre. I'd say take it even closer (2 stations South) to the Washington station, but that station's currently closed, I believe.

Keep in mind that the Homewood has a very small entrance area and you take the elevator up to the lobby; in other words, you have to keep an eye out for the entrance as it's not a large, traditional hotel entrance.

Given it's location around a lot of buildings just off Michigan Ave., you may end up with a decent view of Michigan Ave. or slight view of the river, but a lot of rooms aren't going to have amazing views. Last I was there, I had a decent view of the surrounding area - not great, not bad, but I was very pleased with the room so didn't mind.

Great hotel though, and one I'd highly recommend. They are currently undergoing a multi-million dollar redesign (it was a nice hotel in the first place, they're putting in some upgrades like new floors, furniture, TV's. That won't be done until June '07, but hopefully you'll get to see some of the new features.

From the hotel website: "Re-design News: Phase I of our multi-million dollar re-design project gets underway beginning Jan 22, 2007 with the continuation of new carpet installation and hardwood floors in all guest rooms. Phase II is scheduled to be completed first quarter 2007 and will include 32 inch flat screen Hi-Def LCD TVs in the living quarters in addition to classic art displays featuring historical sights and attractions of the Windy City. Phase III will start shortly after and focus on the "Home Improvement" of our suite accommodations to include new furniture in both the living and sleeping areas to enhance your comforts of home. "

I've emailed the hotel to find out the current status of the project. If I get anything back from them, I'll post the details here.

Cheapest rate for your date on hilton.com is $208, so you definitely got a Suite deal on the Homewood Suites.

Actually, you may want to check the garage next to the James Hotel. It's a self-park and it should be on the NE corner of Ohio and Rush. That is also right near the Homewood and may be a few bucks cheaper.

I'd suggest the garage in Millennium Park (which I think is about $20?) but that would be a bit of a ways from the Homewood.

Parking:

If you decide to park at the North Grant Park Garage near Michigan Ave it is $22 for 24 hours. It might be a bit of a walk, but it is safe and relatively cheap (although no in/out allowed).

When I asked the concierge at the Hyatt Regency where I stayed last night about parking there and safety he said that "You could walk around that area with $100 bills hanging out of your pockets and be fine. Your car will be fine there. Don't walk south of 35th st, though or you're on your own. "

Good luck, and have a good time.

velocitygrl

• 8 months later...

Just to review the trip, since I'm here...

Homewood was a WONDERFUL place to stay! Killer breakfast, a full kitchen, a block from the subway, when we return to Chicago, will definately look to stay here! The pool is indeed near the top, peaceful setting, great downtown view, laid back with a few beers, and watched the workers on the Trump facility.

Ended up staying two nights, was able to work that out with the staff at Homewood. There was a bit of construction going on, nothing of any concern. Room was very nice, having two rooms really makes such a huge difference...

Have snooped around looking to find this place again, but to no avail...it's showed up a few times, but nothing in a time where we could get away for a few days. Hopefully next summer!! Get to Wrigley see a game or two.

Had to walk by the Tremont just for giggles....DO NOT STAY THERE!! Place is a toilet.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]