Priceline Hotel: 5* question

madams2
By madams2,
in

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Does that mean that if I bid on a 5* hotel that is the only hotel that I will get?
Read the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List
What kind of a price can I hope to get?
With rates in the mid-$300's (indicative if high demand) there is often little reason for the hotels to discount rates very much (if at all) thru the opaque suppliers since they can sell most rooms on their own for full price. What is your expected budget/maximum bid and we'll advise a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My airfare is going to run me about $600. I have about another 500-700 for hotel. If I went PL I would prefer to do only 5* because I don't want the Luxor or Aladdin if I go 4*. Looking at a warehouse club I can get airfare + Mirage or Bellagio for around 1300. If I can sneak in Venetian for that or under that would be great and my wife would love it.

Going back and looking at your post, if I can get it for 200/night that would be fine

You can try for a 5* for $200 or less but i'm doubtful you'll be successful.

IMO, the best deal you will likely get for these dates is as follows:

Book the Paris directly from their webiste for an average of $195.67. Then submit a 'best rate guarantee' claim using the price at EasyClickTravel ($193.89)... they will then confirm the rate and should then match it, less 25%, bringing your cost down to ~$150/nite, which is a very good deal for these dates (and hopefully will make your wife happy too :) )

If you'd still prefer to try bidding we'll suggest a strtegy, but the above is how i would be playing it (and still cancellable while you continue to monitor rates to see if they come down at all).

Let us know your thoughts, questions, and/or how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info. I just booked Paris and faxed over my claim form. I will let you know what happens.

Since I can always cancel Paris, how do you suggest I go afer Venetian? I don't think it could hurt since they are the only 5* (your list doesn't mention Bellagio and PL has it as a 4*). Right?

I would think that the Bellagio and The Wynn would both likely be considered 5* by Priceline... and possibly also the Mandalay Bay.

Let's wait and make sure that the Paris guarantee 'claim' goes thru smoothly as you may want to adjust your maximum bid depending upon the success/failure of that claim, since it would affect your "next best" option (and i'm currently very doubtful of your success, so i don't think it's hurting anything by waiting for confirmation and having all the facts in before bidding).

Sounds good. Thanks for the help

The more I look at it I would probably prefer Mandalay Bay over all of them (they have a great pool). There is no way to get a good price on that, is there? I assume my best bet would be to put in for a 5* and see what happens

I will wait for the Paris confirmation first

Paris screwed me on the rate fix. I went to EasyClickTravel, found Paris, and got the lower rate and selected it. I faxed that over to them with my form and they rejected it. I than went back in a recreated the request on EasyClickTravel but went one screen deeper and emailed to them. They rejected than one because it wasn't within 4 hours of making the reservation. What a pain

I might just try a low price on PL for 5* and see what happens. Any suggestions on a starting point?

Why did they rejected the first claim?

You could cancel your original reservation with Paris, re-book, and fax them again (this time within 4 hours they request)... or another phone call to them may straighten it out, if you point out that your second fax was supporting documentation to your previous fax (which i assume was within the 4 hour limit).

Let us know how you want to proceed.

The first fax (friday) was within 10 minutes of making the reservation. They said I wasn't on the credit card screen so they wouldn't accept it. I was on the first screen where I enter my information. they have back to me Saturday with the rejection and at that point I sent them a second screen shot. This time it was the next day but not within the first 4 hours. They didn't want to hear it. They told me to cancel my reservation and to create it again and this time send the screen shot where I would enter credit card info. I would say this is being picky on their part but what ever.

I canceled and I will try PL. How should I bid for a 5* on April 11 - April 14th?

I don't think you'll be successful, but hopefully you'll prove me wrong and can try the following:

You have 7 re-bid zones available when bidding 5* in Las Vegas. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 5* Strip...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 5* Strip and re-bid zone7...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $200.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let su know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]