Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) InterContinental

itstartshere
By itstartshere,
in

Thanks for the quick reply.

So would max max would be $150 a night, but am hoping (naivley perhaps) to get it down to more like $100 a night. Unrealistic?

Also any perspective on whether booking now is better than leaving it closer to May, re: rooms on Priceline?

should I be considering Hotwire also??

Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks again

On Priceline, to attempt (you may get something else) to bid for the Hyatt, you would bid for a 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park zone. Given Hotwire's $109 price, a reasonable Priceline starting bid would be $80. That may not be accepted (and again, there's the chance that another 4* could accept), but it would seem a reasonable place to start.

In terms of rates now vs. later, I would very highly recommend locking in something now if you can get a good deal, as Chicago hotel rates for the Spring will definitely not be going lower. If anything, they'll probably go higher than last year's already ridiculous prices.

The only good regular rate choice around your range (slightly above your max) would be the Comfort Inn Downtown, on Quikbook for $159.

Bid "now or later" is discussed in detail in our PRICELINE FAQ.

If you let us know the priceline zone(s) you are willing to accept, and your current maximum bid (ie- not $150 if you currently don't wish to bid that high), we'll outline a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Great stuff guys.

So it seems that the Hyatt Regency Downtown is available on Hotwire for $109 (which is a pretty good option, no?) and the question is can we better this by using priceline. In that case, I'd say my priceline max would by $108 to get a 4* (or boutique) and would consider both Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area &

North Michigan Ave - River North Area.

Does that make sense? please let me know your suggestions, thanks.

I would recommend a starting bid of $80 for a 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area. There are plenty of great 4* hotels in the River North/North Michigan Ave. area, but be prepared that you could potentially wind up at the Millennium Knickerbocker, which, while historic (it was formerly the Playboy Club and a hideout for Al Capone), is the least desirable (not the worst hotel ever, but it is definitely in need of renovation) of the 4*'s in the area.

The only "known/reported" boutique in the downtown area (more specifically, the River North/North Michigan Ave. area) is the Ambassador East, which is a historic hotel and the furthest North of the Priceline hotels in the city area.

While the Hyatt would not be among the best of Chicago's 4* hotel options, I've found it to be satisfactory for Priceline/Hotwire rates (wouldn't pay full price, but for $80-100 in the Summer or $50-75 in the Winter - or a little more or less in both seasons, it is a great location) and have put visiting friends/family there now on several occasions through Hotwire/Priceline. The pro of the Hyatt is that it is in a very central location. North Michigan Ave. shopping is only a couple of blocks North and the Art Institute/Millennium Park are about 4-5 blocks South. State St. shopping is about 4 blocks West. Navy Pier, while not the best of what Chicago has to offer, is a pretty easy walk from the Hyatt, if you wanted to stroll over there.

The Hyatt is Chicago's biggest hotel, and there are auto checkin machines in the lobby, which - in my experience - do give you a couple/few room options to choose from, even with a PL reservation. Given the Hyatt's size, it *generally* (not guaranteed) does come up on Priceline or Hotwire with some very good rates, as the hotel needs to fill its over 2,000 rooms.

Thanks AaronJB.

I attempted to undercut the Hyatt on Hotwire with Priceline, but so far, no luck:

$80 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park zone - rejected

added north Michigan Ave area & Boutiques, bid $88 - rejected.

Guess, I'm out for 24 hours now...

Quick question about the Hyatt : I understand its a HUGE hotel and read a tripadvisor review about them being sharp on the check-out. Do you know what their 'left lugagge' facilities are like? (as we'll want to get the most out of our 2 days there, we'll want to check out on the second morning and pick up our luggage later when we head back to the airport)

Not sure about left luggage(I'm from Chicago, so never have luggage) unfortunately (I'm sure they have it, just not sure the details) but you can call the hotel @ (312) 565-1234

If you do get the Hyatt, in terms of checking in, if it's an off day, there should be no problem checking in at least somewhat early. If it's busy - convention, etc. - then you may have to wait until checkin. Definitely see what the auto checkin machines have to offer in terms of room.

You also may want to sign up for the Hyatt rewards program if you do get the Hyatt, which is free to do on the hotel website. While you will not earn points for the reservation, I have been told by clerks at checkout that you can earn points for any incidentals (room service, etc.) No guarantees, but doesn't hurt to try.

okay, so lesson learnt here in "striking while the iron is hot" when it comes to hotwire. The Hyatt Regency that had been available for $100ish has now disappeared and I've had no luck with priceline bidding - so still need a room and stratgey suggestions are most welcome!

Priceline History (using free rebids)

Loop, 4*

bid $90, $100, $110 - rejected

NMA, 4*

bid $90, $100, $110 - rejected

Loop & NMA, 4*

bid, $112, $120, $125 - rejected

Thanks

When did you notice the hotel no longer offered on HOTWIRE? If today was the first day then i'd sit tight for 2-3 days to see if it reappears (since you have time before your stay).

If it was a few days ago and hasn't re-appeared, what is your current maximum bid?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well the Hotwire offered about 72 hours ago, so i guess that leaves another day or two to sit tight and see if it re-appears.

I guess my max bid for an unknown hotel would be $130 if the Hyatt Regency doesn't come back - i'd be more prepared to consider a central 3* than pay that to increase this max bid right now. Make sense?

Thanks again for the help.

The known 3*'s on Priceline in downtown Chicago are:

River North/NMA:

Embassy Suites Downtown (rarely ever shows up, I wouldn't count on it.)

Holiday Inn Mart Plaza (somewhat out-of-the-way in the West loop - although not bad on-the-river location for W Loop. Nice hotel - for a HI - and there is an "L" station right out front.)

Allerton (older hotel, very mixed reviews, but great location right on Michigan Ave.)

City Center Hotel (formerly the Holiday Inn City Center; just changed hands within the last week and definitely no idea whether or not this is still a Priceline participant.)

Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park:

Allegro. While not the nicest of the Kimptons in Chicago, this wouldn't be a bad hotel to get. However, quiet area and some people don't care for it at night (I think it's fine enough; it's just very quiet in the West Loop in general.)

Club Quarters Adams: Small rooms, same location situation as the Allegro. Wouldn't bid too highly for it.

Club Quarters Wacker/Michigan: Small rooms, much better location on Michigan/Wacker. Still, wouldn't bid too high in attempting to get it.

I have not had a chance to look at rates yet, but I would be very conservative in bidding for these. Will reply again a little later when I have more time.

Keep in mind you can be upgraded from a 3* to a 4*.

well i checked hotwire this morning a Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville 4* appeared at what seems a 'price to grab' : $79. Can anyone help identify?

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Property offers at least one pool area; hours and dates of operation may be seasonal.

Restaurant(s)

High-speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

thanks!

Great, so the story ends here: I tried to undercut the hotwire price (which had gone up slightly to $83 within a couple of hours) with Priceline & it worked - though the saving wasn't massive ($10) and some would say not worth the risk of getting a worse 4*, hey I saved a few bucks to put towards the overpriced hotel bottled water....

NMA 4*

$70 Rejected. Told to add $12 and I could rebid, so it tweaked the Intercontinental was likely available.

$77 Accepted!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]