Priceline Hotel: 5* Las Vegs (Strip) Venetian

We R PSU
By We R PSU,
in

I would like to give priceline a shot for a 3/31 (wed) - 4/3 (sat) Vegas trip. I have read several posts on this board that have been really helpful and also raised some concerns for me. I would be interested in the Venetian if I could get the $100 deal that some folks here are getting. Otherwise, I would be looking 4*.

?

If I bid 5* is the Venetian the only posssibilty.

Anything to look out for in the 4*?

What would be a reasonable price for 4*?

I checked the convention numbers 18k at LVCC and 2.5k at MGM. This seemed like a small volume weekend. Can I expect lower prices?

Should I bid the Wed & Thurs seperate from the Fri? (I would be willing to switch hotels on Fri)

Do I need a back-up hotel?

When would be the best time to start bidding?

I realize that is a lot of ground. Thanks for your help.

Welcome to BetterBidding! (and a belated welcome to the Big 10 if 'psu' is for the nittany lions!)

This may be a bit tougher than usual as i believe you're right on the edge of the NCAA Final Four tournament.

If I bid 5* is the Venetian the only posssibilty.

It's the only one that we know of. The Bellagio is another obvious possibility, as is the Four Seasons, but we have seen no evidence that either of the participate with Priceline. I think it's relatively safe bidding 5* (as the alternative possibilities are still great!), but i don't think you'll see the $100 rates you're seeking this far in advance of check-in (if at all for these dates, due to the the NCAA tournament)... it never hurts to try.

I checked the convention numbers 18k at LVCC and 2.5k at MGM. This seemed like a small volume weekend. Can I expect lower prices?

18K isn't big, but it's not small either... but i think the bigger 'draw' is the NCAA tournament

Should I bid the Wed & Thurs seperate from the Fri? (I would be willing to switch hotels on Fri)

I would probably book Friday separately, if you don't mind changing hotels.

Do I need a back-up hotel?

Always book a cancellable back-up... especially in Vegas and especially due to the NCAA tournament.

When would be the best time to start bidding?

If your plans are 'set' i would start now

Anything to look out for in the 4*?

The Westin (a new hotel in Vegas) is in the strip zone, but it is also not directly on the strip (recently reviewed in our HOTEL REVIEWS section). Would you be willing to accept this hotel (or any other in the shaded region of Priceline's map... you can see the zone by going to Priceline and input Las Vegas (don't worry about the dates at this point) and on the next screen click the link next to "Strip area" to see the zone's boundaries)

What would be a reasonable price for 4*?

What is your maximum bid? Probably a good idea to figure out a maximum bid for the Wed-Fri part of your stay and a second maximum for the Fri-Sat portion of your stay.

Do you understand how re-bids work: PRICELINE TIP: Re-Bidding Explained

Let us know your thoughts about the Westin, as well as your maximum bid(s), and then we'll supply a suggested strategy for you to follow. Of course also feel free to ask any questions the above info has raised.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This far out from your stay and rates dont look that bad for the Venetian,Wed and Thur are $200 on hotwire and if you add Fri they go up to $216.From my expierience those are low rates for being this far from your dates.I think you might have a good chance of getting a good rate.I would check hotwire everyday and when you see a rate you like bid it on priceline starting $10 to $20 less then hotwires rate.Dont over bid,you have many rebids for Vegas at the 5* level.Keep in mind most of the time you get the best rates in Vegas the week before your stay.Most of the time when I get the Venetian I get my price the day before I arrive or the day I check in.Dont make a panic bid if you see prices go way up,this happens on vegas bids all the time.In checking Venetians own web site I see Wed and Thur are $189 a night,another good sign.Good-luck

I hope we don't confuse you so soon that you turn and run for the hillls (just let us know if it's too much info at once and we'll slow it down)...

QuickBook is showing 3-31 at the Venetian for $153... Hotwire showing 5* (believed to be the Venetian) for $210. Put in a claim for Double the Difference and you get the V for 3/31 at a net cost of $96... under your $100 mark! :)

However... this then leaves you in the situation of bidding for Thur and Friday in the same bid, which could result in an overbid for Thursday... unless you're willing to sleep in a different hotel each nite :) (to experience the Venetian, some would be willing to do so)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

PSU is for my beloved lions. Hopefully, JoePa will have us ready this year.

Thank you for all the information.

I think I understand the way the zones work. Ex. I can start with the strip and bid until I have used my limit and then I can add near strip and bid until I have exhausted my limit and so on. Since Venetian is only 5*, I can not get soemthing out of the stirp zone. Correct?

I would like to keep my total bill to around $300 (not incl taxes and fees). It seems some hotels keep their price constant through the week while others most hit hard for Fri and Sat.

Since my dates are firm, I will make reservations fo a back-up today.

Does the double difference thing really work? How long does it take to get the money? Would bidding just Wednesday hurt my chance of getting the hotel for the entire stay?

I read the review of the Westin and I would accept it. I would be a little disappointed to be off the strip but the review makes it sound really close to the strip.

Thanks again for your help.

Double the Difference Examples:

Hotwire Venetian

Hotwire Hawaii

Hotwire Chicago

There are probably others, but i pulled these up quickly thru a search of the board.

I think you have the re-bidding down, but just to clarify one thing that may be unclear. You say: ".... bid until I have used my limit ..." You only get one bid at a star level in a zone, if that bid is rejected, you have to either:

1) lower your star rating

or

2) add a zone

or

3) wait 72 hours

Re-bidding is choosing the second option but adding a zone that only offers star levels lower and not equal to the one your are bidding. The way to check star ratings in each zone is to select only that zone on Priceline's screen and click 'next' and see the options that are presented. To check another zone click BACK on your browser, UNcheck the current zone, mark a new zone, and repeat the process. Important to do this everytime before bidding to make sure that no hotels have been added/upgraded/downgraded that would no longer qualify a zone as a free re-bid zone.

I guess before we get exhausted talking about trying for the 'double the difference' guarantee we should at least try to get a good price for the entire stay.

I'd start by bidding 5* Strip and...

Bid $79, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $100.

I seem to recall some talk a while back about when bidding Resort and then adding a zone, the 5* option is automatically checked. This shouldn't affect you since it's the opposite of what you're doing, but when you re-bid just be certain that the only star level checked is 5* (and not resort or any others).

I'm doubtful the above will be accepted, but it doesn't hurt to try. As well, it will get you used to the bidding process and let your body adjust to a slightly higher heartbeat (it happens to all of us as we wait for results :) )

If not successful, we can then start to discuss how to best split up dates, try for 4* properties, and/or combining it with a Hotwire booking for an attempt to cash in on their guarantee (if you decide to go that route).

Let us know how it goes, but of course ask any additional questions first if you have any. Good Luck!

I went through the bidding process you described (fairly simple once you do it) and went through Savingsbarn. I was rejected on all bids but I must admit there is a sudden increase in the heart rate as PL searches. I was a little confused about the resort option. I noticed Henderson and Northwest LV both had resorts but no 5* so I stayed away from them in the rebidding.

I have a back-up booked so I am comfortable waiting, splitting the stay or changing hotels.

5* is above resort so you wont get a resort if your bidding 5*.You wont get $100 or less at the Venetian until hotwire is $119 or less.I checked out the westin last time I was in town and its a very nice and trendy joint.I didnt see the rooms so I cant coment about them but I like the place and its very close to the strip.

My back-up is the Stardust $55 (wed), $38(thurs) and $95(fri). We always go there on the guy trips because it used to be very easy to get the room comped and nobody really cared about the quality. This trip is with the lady and I wanted some place nice (at least for a night).

I do not really have any ideas on other places. Just thought the Venetian would be a nice touch.

I asked because:

Wed Nite: i found the Venetian for $96 using the Double the Difference guarantee (slight risk simply because you're at the mercy of Hotwire and their rules, but they seem to honor legitimate claims)

Thur Nite: $100/nite at Harrahs'

Fri Nite: $60/nite at Harrahs'

That Friday nite at Harrah's is a steal (IMO). Only problem is that Thursday is a little high, and if your traveling with 'the lady' (your words) i suppose chaning hotels every nite is out of the question :)

I don't see it on their website now, but in the past the Harrahs rate was cancellable up to 3 days before arrival, but you can call them before booking to make sure that's still the policy.

I've stayed at Harrah's and the rooms are standard (ie- fine), location is excellent, pool area is weak.

IMO location is very important in Vegas and just from that standpoint i would choose Harrahs over the Stardust, plus it sill gives you the opportunity to look for other deals between now and then (assuming you confirm it's cancellable).... and you get at least one affordable nite at the Venetian (assuming all goes well).

Maybe others that are familiar with Vegas can give their own thoughts.

Addition: also just found Bally's for $69/Thursday and $139/Friday

You could stay Wed at the V, Thur at Bally's, and Friday at Harrahs for $220 total, but you'd have to live out of your suitcase.

I am a little cautious about the DD deal. I guess it is worth the risk. Is this how it works. I book the V on Hotwire for $206 and send them an e-mail showing Quickbook has it for $153. I get the diff of $53 * 2 credit from HW for a net of $100.

Where do I find the deals for Harrah's and Bally's? The girlfriend is actually considering switching hotels on all three nights.

Thanks for your help. This board is awesome. I might even have less bad things to say about the boys in the big house this fall. :)

You got the Double the Difference guarantee correct, but i also suggest you read the complete terms and conditions before you do it (since you are responsible for your own actions). The complete details can be found at Hotwire's home page, click on Customer Care near the top right corner, then you should see a link about the guarantee. If not, click on info about hotels and i'll sure you'll see it there. Any problem locating it, let me know.

I'd also recommend double checking the rate on Quickbook right before you purchase, and if you have a way to take a snapshot of your computer screen (with a program like 'snag it') i'd do that. At the very least make a printout of the screen for yourself as well as the save the webpage to a file (this can be done by using the FILE>>SAVE AS function on your browser).

The Harrah's deal is offered at their homepage and clicking on hot DEALS.

The Bally's deal is offered thru their website (no special area needed to go to), but price of Bally's is now $79/nite (like i've always said, rates in Vegas change fast)

You should double check the cancellation policies with each hotel, but one advantage of the Ballys/Harrahs offers is that (if i'm correct in that they're indeed cancellable up to 72 hours beforehand) you can continue to look for lower rates at these properties or even others. Ideal situation would be if you can 'match' another cheap nite at Ballys or Harrahs so that you wouldn't have to move an extra time.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I booked Wed at Venetian for $206 on Hotwire and submitted the DD e-mail. I saved the webpage and sent them the link. If it works out, I'll have the room for $100.

I just tried to book Friday at Harrah's and the rate is $150. I went through the hot Deals button but 4/1 was not marked as a deal on their calenders. Since this no longer looks like an option, I may bid on a 4* or 5* as the time gets closer.

I guess I still have plenty of 72 hour rebids between now and then. I would entertain any other deals folks run across. I let you know how I make out with the DD credit.

Yet one more example of rates changing quickly!!

I'd continue to check Harrahs site in hopes of the low rate appearing once again.

Good Luck with the DD guarantee! I think everything will go smoothly, but i do give you a LOT of credit for trying it with your first time using Priceline/Hotwire!

Please let us know how it goes.

Since this thread has sort of been 'completed' for one date, let's start new threads for your other date(s) since they'll likely end up at different properties and it will be easier to keep things orderly (i'll provide links in this thread to the other threads as they are made).

Since rates seem to be jumping around (higher), you may want to consider reserving the Ballys deal for that one nite after confirming that it is cancellable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hotwire credited my card and the whole process took about ten days.

Just a note for those thinking about using DD: After submitting the DD, I sent an e-mail to HW to make sure they received the request. They had not ( do not know if this was my problem or their problem). Per HW, if the DD link is still available on your reservation confirmation, they did not receive your request. This could cause some delays so be sure to check that the DD link is removed.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]