Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help Requested

ppfqp
By ppfqp,
in

We have never used Priceline or Hotwire before, so I am a little bit nervous. I am finding these boards very informative and helpful. I've been doing lots of research, but would like a bit more advice before I bid.

I am going to be attending a conference in San Diego in March. The meetings will take place at the Hotel Solamar in the Gaslamp Quarter. Ideally, it would be great to stay there, but room rates are currently $379.

So, I would like to find a hotel in the vicinity. I'd like a 4* for under $200, checking in Thurs 3/8/07 and checking out Sun 3/11/07.

First question: At what price should I start bidding? I've seen recent wins as low as $95. Should I start there?

Priceline does not have a Gaslamp zone, but rather the zone is defined as Downtown San Diego and Harbor Island. Among the 4* hotels that are included in that zone are a couple that would be inconvenient (Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina and Westin Horton Plaza), but several that would be desirable and very close to the Solamar.

I am thinking that I should bid just for the first night of the stay, which would be before the conference actually starts. That way, if the hotel is not convenient, I can make other arrangements, but would have saved a considerable amount on at least one night of the stay. However, if the winning bid secures a reservation at the Omni, Hilton Gaslamp or Marriott Gaslamp, I will want to extend my stay.

Second question: Is this a recommended strategy? Is it possible to add the extra nights at the same rate?

Thanks for any advice!

Among the 4* hotels that are included in that zone are a couple that would be inconvenient.. but several that would be desirable
If you're not comfortable receiving any hotel in the given area, than i wouldn't suggest bidding it. HOTWIRE may cost you a few dollars more, but if it lands you with a location that works well for your needs, isn't that money well spent? What if you got a good deal on a hotel but it was far from where you wanted/needed to be... would that still be a 'good deal'?
if the winning bid secures a reservation at the Omni, Hilton Gaslamp or Marriott Gaslamp, I will want to extend my stay.... Is this a recommended strategy?
There are two flaws in your strategy:

1) the offer to extend your stay is not always given. Even when it is, sometimes it's not available at the same price you won (and can be a LOT more)

2) when offered, you can only extend your stay for a length of time equal to or less than your original reservation... so if you're successful with a one nite stay, you can only extend your stay (if offered) for one additional nite

Have you searched HOTWIRE to at least see if prices are attractive in the Gaslamp zone, and if so, have you tried to ID any of them to see if they would likely be convenient for your needs?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Have you searched HOTWIRE to at least see if prices are attractive in the Gaslamp zone, and if so, have you tried to ID any of them to see if they would likely be convenient for your needs?

Thanks for the feedback. You make good points - I'm so glad to have this input before making a decision.

I have looked at Hotwire. I get:

4* $203/night (regularly $285.67) with the following amenities: Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access

I am guessing that is either the Hilton, Hotel Solamar, or Omni San Diego. The website rates are: $289/night for Hilton, $259/night for Omni and $379/night for Solamar)

3* $236/night with Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, Laundry and Tennis Nearby.

I can't figure out what that would be, and certainly it doesn't make sense to pay more for a lesser-quality hotel.

2.5* for $169/night. No amenitites listed. That's scary and not something we're going to consider.

Recent Priceline bids have been $90-$125, so we could save almost $100 night over Hotwire. For that amount, it wouldn't be a bad deal to have a hotel that was several blocks away. Yes, we'd need a car, but we will be renting one for a portion of the stay anyway. Priceline would make sense if the gamble works in our favor. However, you bring up several good points that indicate it might be too risky. Thanks for any further perspective or advice!

Recent Priceline bids have been $90-$125, so we could save almost $100 night over Hotwire
Your assuming that rates for your dates would be the same as when the $90-$125 bids have been accepted... which is a BIG assumption.

What is your maixmum bid? We'll then be able to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Your assuming that rates for your dates would be the same as when the $90-$125 bids have been accepted... which is a BIG assumption.

Good point!

What is your maixmum bid? We'll then be able to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Probably $150 -- knowing that we can get a "sure thing" for $203 with Hotwire, it would have to be a significant savings to take the chance with Priceline. Thanks for any tips!

When bidding 4* in San Diego you have 11 re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone7...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone8...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone9...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone10...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously

Select 4* Downtown and re-bid zone11...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $150.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

If the above fails and you choose to go with Hotwire, please remember to start your purchase with our HOTWIRE link. Thanks!

• 5 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]