Hotwire Hotel: identify hotel please

johnc
By johnc,
in

hello all, i am going to new york on the 16th march 07 and leaving on the 19th. I will be travelling with my wife. Last november I stayed at the Hampton inn on west 31st street. This year however their prices seem to have taken a big hike. I would like to stay around the same area between 29th street and 37th street as I think it is a good location to set off from and is close to Penn Station. What are the likely hotels I would get thru priceline and hotwire in this area as have never booked a hotel this way before and what price should I look to be bidding at. I look forward to any replies. Cheers. John from Scotland.

• 2 months later...

was looking on hotwire just now for hotel in midtown south checking in on 16th match and leaving on the 19th. They have a two star for $142 per night. The hotel offers complimentary breakfast, fitness centre and high speed internet access, is anyone able to identify this hotel.

I see it now...

This property has not yet been identified... it could be one of the Comfort Inns which wouldn't be too bad (although location is not that great), but i'm afraid it could also be the Ramada New Yorker which i would not recommend.

We typically dont' recoemmend using the opaque levels for 2* properties in NYC (and some other large cities) as you can really get some 'not nice' hotels... what is your maximum budget for this stay?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

budget wise I could book the hotel grand union for $150 per night plus taxes through their own website but if possible then would like to save more and spend the cash while in new york or try and get a slightly better hotel for that cash. We stayed at the hampton on 31st street in nov 05 and thought that was a great area to be in and set off every day but their prices are sky high now though I was perhaps going to take a chance and see if price goes down nearer the time or do hotel prices in new york stay high on st patricks weekend.

Rates are high due to the St. Patricks Day Weekend (ie- there is a little parade here :) ), but for a more indepth discussion see the 'when to book' related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

If you're happy with the Grand Union then by all means book it... i think $150 is cheap for a NYC hotel during that weekend.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

had a look again on tripadvisor at grand union reviews and last few have not been to kind to it, so my opinion on booking there has changed. What I need is good clean hotel with own bathrooms and shower, the wife won`t go for anything less. Want to be in central midtown south area thats on priceline. In reality do not want to go above $600 in total for the 3nights including all taxes. Have looked at list of previous hotels won at 2.5 and 3 star and only a few of them not keen on. If I had a choice picks would be affinia manhattan, hi express chelsea. Don`t want hotel in other area as we will get train from jfk straight to penn station then only a couple of blocks walk to dump cases before hitting the city. Am I being realistic in the hope of a decent hotel and any bidding help would be greatly appreciated.

You can book the Affinia Manhattan thru Quickbook for $595 (plus tax) which seems like it would be perfect for what you're looking for but after tax will put you slightly over your budget (rank the results by price from lowest to highest and it's about 20 listings down).

I'd also consider other zones... while it would be great to just walk out ouf Penn Station and drop your bags, you'll only really need to be near Penn Station twice during your trip (upon arrival and departure) so should you really restrict yourself to just that one area if you can get a better/cheaper hotel elsewhere in the city that may be better/similarly located for all the touring of the city you intend on doing?

With the above said the Affinia Manhattan does get great review and the only reason not to take it (imo) is due to your budget, but you can book it as a back-up and then try to beat that deal thru other avenues (and you can choose, based upon my previous comments, if you want to restrict yourself to this area only). If you do book the above please use our Quikbook link to begin your purchase/reservation.

Hi,

Has the name of the hotel been figured out yet? I was alos looking at the same area as my niece is going to school in the area. It shows the same info. The price for the one night is listed at 81.00. for 2/10/07. As that I am seeing two shows and doing dinner I won't be in the room for long, other then sleeping, but concerned all the same. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

: 2-star hotel in Midtown South This limited-service establishment offers basic accommodations, often with a few extra features. See hotel details comp breakfast, fitness center, high speed access.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]