Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Dupont Circle-Woodley Park) Hotel Palomar

larrylaffer
By larrylaffer,
in

Hello, I am looking at getting a place in either the Whitehouse area or Dupont Circle. Would prefer to stick to 4* in Whitehouse area and be prepared to go to 3* in Dupont circle area. Prices seem high for no apparent reason and my maximum would be $130. Is this likely to secure anything for the date range? Any suggested strategy would be appreciated.

The Carlyle Suites (which get good reviews on Tripadvisor) are much less than everything else for 5/1-4 at $148 a night on EasyClickTravel and actually are showing as "available".

That would also be in the Dupont area, according to the site.

HOTWIRE then has a 4* in the Dupont area for 5/4-6 for $109 per night, which *appears* to be the Hilton Washington & Towers, but not entirely sure. Definitely read some of the reviews of the Hilton (some very negative reviews) before taking a chance on it.

The Carlyle is showing up for 5/1-4 for quite a bit more everywhere else.

I will think about splitting. I think initally I would prefer to avoid it as obviously I want to pack as much sightseeing into the trip and dont want to have to change hotels midway especially with the time differential between check out and check in. If it was a case of checking out, catching a cab and then checking in I think my view on this part of the trip and splitting might be different.

The gameplan (as i see it) would be as follows:

1) make sure you're comfortable with the above prices and hotels

2) book the Carlyle Suites for $148 (for 5/1-5/4). This reservation is cancellable but it at least makes sure you have this 'locked-in' so that you can proceed to the non-refundable remaining part of your stay)

3) try priceline to beat the $110 offer on HOTWIRE for 5/4-5/6... if not, you can take the HOTWIRE offer

4) you can then try to beat the deal you have for the Carlyle Suites by bidding on priceline and/or checking HOTWIRE

If/when you did split your purchases, there doesn't have to be much down time. If your room isn't ready at the 'new' hotel you can check your bags there and they will hold them for you... then just retrieve them later in the day when you return to the hotel to check-in. Some have no problems changing hotels, others really try to avoid, so it depends upon your personality (and of those you're traveling with) and, more importantly, just how much money you'll be saving.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Managed to land the Hotel Palomar for $80 per night for the 5/4-5/6 stay. :)

Then tried to land a hotel for the rest of the stay being the 1st-3rd. Gor up to 130 for a 4 star in the dupont/whitehouse areas but no luck. Tried for a 3* in dupont up to 100 but no luck.

Does the Courtyard in Dupont come up often? (Its listed as 2.5) and I would be prepared to bid on it if you thought it was a realistic chance (I know one cannot predict these things).

Used savingsbarn.com.

Once again, thanks for the advice thereuare and AaronJB.

Glad it worked out well for you.

Since AaronJB's research shows that the 5/1-5/4 portion of your stay is likely to be a bit more difficult, i would highly recommend that you reserve the Carlyle Suites as a back-up. As you can see it already isn't available for the two nites of your stay that you've just booked, and now that you have those two nites locked up in a non-refundable reservation, you should make sure that this doesn't disappear on you. Since it's cancellable it can't really hurt by reserving it... but it certainly can help!

For your other options (and bidding) on the balance of your stay, please start a NEW TOPIC, as the topic title of this thread will now be used to reflect your Palomar win. Do you recall your highest previously rejected bid for before your $80 acceptance for the 2 nite win?

Thanks for using the SavingsBarn.com links to begin your bidding.

Enjoy (this leg) of your stay. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]