Priceline Hotel: 2.5* San Francisco (Cathedral Hill) Opal

tenerifesharon
By tenerifesharon,
in

After bidding up to $101 for these dates for 4* USE & USW, decided to go for a relatively "sure" thing and bid $56 for Cathedral Hill. It's way in advance for our trip but this is for post-cruise (we'll need the laundromat facility that the Opal offers :) ), and since we already have our flights booked and paid for (2 one-ways from Europe: DUS to Vancouver and from Los Angeles to DUS) didn't need to wait and book the hotel. I'm sure I could have bid lower (thanks to Zbenye), but our dates are pretty expensive at the Opal (at different sites for up to $229 per night!!). Hotwire's present offering for a 2* USW was $159. At the price we paid, we can always decide to do 1 night of luxury at a 4* if I can get it last-minute.

Naturally, bid through savingsbarn :)

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Congratulations on your win.

If your plans are firm and a good deal can be had, no reason not to take care of it.

Glad to hear your plans are coming together and you can focus on the other aspects of your trip (like what to do in each port of call!)

Thanks for sharing and for using the PRICELINE links SavingsBarn.com links for your bidding.

Happy Holidays!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 8 months later...

You were wise to bid far in advance because the Opal now shows sold out for your dates. I'm not even sure if the Opal still participates in Priceline. Searching the SF Forum on "Opal" the last reported Priceline win I can find was in January 2007. I've stayed at the Opal three times in 2007 but always via HOTWIRE after my Priceline bids were rejected.

• 3 weeks later...

We're here at the Opal right now and it does seem to be really full -- all of SF is full! Guess that explains why we ended up with the "Priceline" room. It's fine since it's clean and quiet, but it's VERY small for 2 people with 6 weeks worth of luggage (4 large suitcases and 2 rollaboards :) ). One double bed (54") and a tiny bathroom. We certainly can't complain about the price OR the location + free breakfast, free internet and a coin laundromat -- we're satisfied!

The Opal is has an eccentric design. It's over 100 years old and has multiple hallways, passages, and cul-de-sacs. Getting to some of the rooms can be like playing the children's game Chutes and Ladders. The rooms are many different sizes and configurations, and a couple times I've gotten a very small room like you describe.

When the hotel is full, as it's been most of the summer, I expect to get a small room when I stay there on Priceline. One time I was given a room like that and politely asked if anything larger was available. They moved me, cheerfully. Another time I got a room directly across from the elevator, which loudly rings every time the elevator door opens or shuts. I asked for a move and they accomodated again.

While there may be "Priceline rooms" at the Opal I've never found any "Priceline attitude". My experience is that if it's possible to move you they will. Once I got a huge room with two queen beds that easily would have accomodated four people. (Those large rooms are in the two story annex at the back of the building, overlooking the parking lot. That annex looks like 1960's construction; not part of the original hotel.)

I hope you enjoyed your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]