Priceline Hotel: 4* San Juan Caribe Hilton

photodonna
By photodonna,
in

We're looking for a 2 night pre-cruise hotel for 2 couples in San Juan, PR. I've never used PL or HW, and I'm scared to try it. However, I'm willing to give it a shot. So, how do I narrow the possibilities down? Where can I find info on how much of a bid to put in? I'm willing to read more on all of this, just don't know where to go. Once I place the bid, that's it--right? Any help or advice is very much appreciated. Thanks!

I forgot to answer the question in your first post, but "yes", once you purchase on Hotwire OR have an accepted bid on Priceline... you own it. No refunds, cancellations, etc.

If you haven't already, you may want to give this thread a read: I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire

I'm assuming your looking at 2 nites from Mar 3rd - Mar 5th.

A search on Hotwire reveals what are believed to be the following hotels (i'm very confident in the identification of these properties, but of course there are no guarantees simply because you're indeed buying a product before we know the name of it):

5* El San Juan for $336

4* Caribe Hilton for $103

3.5* Wyndham Old San Juan$151

I think the best value/deal in the bunch is the 4* for $103 (believed to be the Caribe Hilton) but perhaps you'd want to consider the Old San Juan if that's the location where you really want to be (i don't know the 'regular' prices for either of these... have you looked at all)?

You can probably beat the above prices somewhat by trying Priceline (which has their own star rating different than Hotwire's), but if doing so you'll have a little less control over the property. For example, if you bid Resort you may get the Caribe Hilton but also may bet the Wyndham Condado Plaza (and i'd estimate it would cost you about $65-80 for one of these)... if you bid 3*, you could get the Wyndham Old San Juan but also could get the Embassy Suites, Normandie Park Plaza, or any other 3* hotel in this zone (and what may surprise you, i'd suspect these to cost about the same as the Resort properties).

You can see how i 'identified' the above Hotwire hotels and the list of known Priceline hotels by clicking this link: Priceline/Hotwire Hotel Lists and Tips.

From that link there will be two links 'pinned' to the top of the list... one for Hotwire and one for Priceline (if you decide to move forward with Hotwire, you should double check that the hotels shown on your own search are the same as those shown to me above... do this by comparing the Star Rating and Amenities show to you with those in the link supplied).

If you decide that you'd like to try Priceline instead, just reply so and i'll give you a suggested starting bid (based upon whether you want to try for the Resort class or the 3* class).

Of course feel free to ask any questions that you may have regarding any of the above.

If you decide to move, please follow-up and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

HI again. We've decided to try for the Caribe Hilton. I looked at your links, thank you. What do you base the bid price on? I assume you are telling me to bid $103 for the Caribe Hilton, right? I still haven't spent enough time on the Hotwire site to understand how the bidding goes, but will work on it today. Again, thank you very much for your help! Donna

You may have it mixed up (i'm not sure)...

With Hotwire there is no bidding, that $103 is the purchase price. Based upon the amenities it is believed to be the Caribe Hilton (match them up yourself to be sure we are seeing the same hotel come up on our searches)

If you want to try Priceline, you can get any 'resort' hotel within the shaded zone and you'll 'bid' for it. If that's the route you want to go i suggest you bid less than $103 and i'll suggest a starting price if that's what you want to do.

Hope that clears it up some.

I also just noticed that you are looking for 2 couples... does this mean you'll be trying for two rooms?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So happy it worked out for you... looks like we have another convert! :)

Now that you're all set, here are two more threads you may want to check out (i thought i posted them earlier but couldn't find them in this thread):

San Juan local dining recommendation

Caribe Hilton Review

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]