MIA Miami Convertible Alamo

kokomo61
By kokomo61,
in

I have a problem with a Priceline car rental - I have booked a convertible car, thinking (mistakenly) that a it was going to be a Sebring, Mustang or Cobalt/Cavalier, which actually have trunks. When it came up a PT Cruiser convertible, it's going to be too small for our luggage and 2 kids.....

I've called Priceline customer service (no changes to reservation)

I've called Alamo customer service (12 calls to New Delhi - that's another story all in itself) - can't change a Priceline reservation.

Called the actual location - need to call Corp #.

Called the Corp #. - Need to call Priceline.

Called Priceline....you get the idea.

The car's too small, and won't fit. Is it possible to upgrade this in any way? My bail-out scenario is to rent from National (in the same location), and eat the Priceline cost ($560), which I REALLY don't want to do. I've got the price lists from Alamo, and the convertible is more expensive than two other cars that will fit (Equinox and Grand Prix), and within $1 of a full-size Envoy or Lucerne. So...it SHOULD be possible to 'downgrade' (no price difference) to a less-expensive (but larger) vehicle, shouldn't it? Or, am I stuck with an expensive lesson?

I have rented several cars through Priceline. There are a few things you can do, though nothing's guaranteed.

You won't have any luck at all going through Priceline - they stick hard and fast to their no change policy. For instance, I rented in Florida in West Palm Beach with a dropoff in West Palm. My plans changed and I wanted to drop in Tampa. Even though the rental company wouldn't have charged me a drop fee, Priceline said "no way". I had to rent a new vehicle and eat a day's rental on the West Palm rental.

Don't bother with the 800 number to the rental company either. They will see your reservation is from Priceline and will give you the "we can't change it" line.

Your best bet is at the rental counter. Drag your spouse, kids and luggage up to the counter. When they announce the vehicle you reserved, motion to your family and ask if there are any upgrades available. Appeal to emotion. What you get will be completely based on available inventory. Most agents tend to be sympathetic, particularly if it means more $$$ to the rental firm.

A plus you have working for you is that you have reserved a convertible, a car normally in high demand. You don't mention where you are going, but it does mean something if your destination is a warm weather spot like south Florida, etc. (Of course, if it's Minnesota in December, good luck :) ). What I am saying is the rental agency may be glad to have that vehicle back in inventory since they may be able to easily rent it.

As a rule of thumb (for me at least), it is very risky to rent a convertible for more than two (max. three) passengers for the reasons you are experiencing: they have little trunk space.

I hope everything works out for you. Good luck

Sorry if I didn't mention it - we're in Miami @ Christmas time - so convertibles should be an 'in demand' car. I don't mind paying extra to upgrade (within limits)....and I do have a 'bail-out' situation available, although that would be a last resort decision if nothing else works....and I made sure that I can cancel it or be a no-show without being charged.

I will have my wife, 2 kids and all of our luggage with us, so I probably shouldn't make any comments about the car until they mention what it is.....

...then say - does it have a trunk? How will we fit all of our luggage in there?

...any other tips to help work through this?

Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]