Priceline Hotel: San Juan Travel (12/26/06 - 1/2/07)

travelnewbie
By travelnewbie,
in

Hi all,

This is my very first time on this board and my very first time utilizing priceline and hotwire. I hope I can get some guidance as my situation is time sensitive. I need to make a trip to Puerto Rico from 12/26/06 to 1/2/07 and hotel in San Juan from 12/26 to 12/29/06. I understand the flights and hotels are super expensive during this time, I have been monitoring them and the prices just keep getting higher. Can anyone walk me through the whole bidding process and how much I should start the bids, etc? I know these bidding sites can be very tricky and I want to avoid making any financial mistakes, which I cannot afford.

Thanks a bunch :)

travelnewbie

Are you looking to book a package, bid on hotel and airfare, or just hotel? Since you're travel dates and the part of the stay for which you need a hotel are different, i don't think you'll be able to book a package.

What is your nightly hotel budget? What is the minimum star rating you'll accept? As you're only two weeks away from departure and apparently don't have plane tickets yet, is this a trip you'll definately be taking regardless of price?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for reponding!

I am looking to bid on airfare and hotel. My nightly hotel budget is $150 and minimum star rating is 3, preferably the Isla Verde area. Unfortunately, I have a pretty low budget for airfare (250/rt), that's why I haven't been able to book my flight as of yet and the main reason I decided to book through a bidding site 'cause I know I'll have a better chance of a lower flight and hotel through there.

Which would be better to bid through - Priceline or Hotwire?

I can't afford the prices that are currently being quoted
This is precisely my point... if the prices DON'T come down, and you can't afford it, will you still make the trip?

I do think you need to be realistic in your expectations. This is a peak travel period so expecting to get airfare for less than half of the current rate is not likely. Besides the holiday, this is peak hotel season in San Juan.

I'm trying to make sure you have a legitimate gameplan in order... when you need to make separate purchases (such as airline and hotel) it's not recommended making non-refundable reservations for only part of your stay and hope the other half works out... otherwise you can end up with non-refundable hotel room and can't afford to get there to use them.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I still need to make the trip, regardless of the price but still need the lowest rate I can find. I was thinking about making the bid for the airfare first, and after that was settled, I was going to make a bid for the hotel so I wouldn't be stuck with the room with no flights booked.

What rates do you suggest I start bidding for airfare and hotel?

I really don't think you're going to do much better than prevailing rates, but which NYC airports are you able to fly from?

What is the maximum you're willing to bid at this time (excluding taxes and/or fees)... keeping in mind that when you make an opaque airfare purchase you give up the ability to choose your flight times, and also agree to the possibility of a needing to make a connecting flight.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]