Higher total cost for shorter stay?

swag
By swag,
in

I've been checking rates a lot lately, and I've noticed something odd with some requests.

There's a hotel that shows as $104 for a 9 night stay (4/23-5/02). That same hotel shows up as $89 for a 10 night stay, same check in, just leaving 1 day later. So they actually charge you less ($890 vs $936) for staying an extra night.

And, yes, I am confident that it's the same hotel, based on unusual amenities and a price well below what Hotwire shows for other hotels for those dates.

This doesn't seem to make sense. I would expect to pay difefrent rates for different durations as different nightly rates (weekday vs weekend, etc) get averaged over a long stay, but I'm surprised that it goes so far as get more for less.

Another example, a friend was looking for a room for 4/22-27. Everything was very pricey. But when she extended her checkout and searched for 4/22-28, a good price appeared ($110). The hotel was a customer favorite, so you could tell for sure that the hotel had not been listed at all for the 5 night stay. She was happy to pay $660 for the stay, and will just leave early, but she would have also paid the same $660 for 5 nights at $132/night (still half of the best rate on the hotel website), and the hotel would have gotten the same money and still have a room to sell on the night of the 27th.

So, can someone shed some light on this phenomenon? It seems like poor business on Hotwire's part.

Swag,

Been meaning to reply sooner but everytime i remembered i got sidetracked.. then something would remind me of this post again and i would once again get sidetracked.

The only guess i can make is that Hotwire somehow uses the number of nites, or total price, to determine their mark-up. Your searches somehow fell right on the cusp... and going the one extra nite brought their mark-up on the total stay down by XX%... which can have a dramatic effect on a long(er) nite stay.

Along the same lines, perhaps their commission % from the hotel is higher on a stay over a total purchase price or specific number of nites... and they therefore are willing to pass along some savings to the consumer since they'll be getting paid more from the hotel.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]