Hotwire Hotel: New York Hotel

funkymonkee
By funkymonkee,
in

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. My girlfriend and I are looking to go to New york for 5 days in early january, after New Years, and are trying to get a hotel. We would like to get a 3-4* place for $100-$150 a night in Midtown south, Midtown central, Midtown east or Times square. I see that the Sheraton Manhattan is offered for approx $103, but am not sure how nice it is. The hudson, I believe (3.5*, fitness, restaurant, business, high speed in midtown central), is available for $126 a night which may be a better deal. However I have also read that the rooms are really small, even by New York standards, and the staff are somewhat standoffish. Suggestions about either of these places?

I was also wondering when the best time to reserve is. I know that new deals come up all the time but is there a point when the price starts increasing as the date comes closer or does it get cheaper as rooms may go unsold? I would like to get a good deal but don't want to wait too long and end up getting screwed later.

I have been looking mostly on hotwire but also briefly on priceline. Can you get better deals on priceline because you set the price? If I were to choose a 4* hotel in midtown on priceline and bid $100-$110 do you think I would be able to get anything? And when you bid low on priceline are you more likely to get a lower quality hotel within the same star category? I'm not sure who accepts the bid (hotel or priceline) and how they determine which hotel you will get.

Thanks in advance

I would sooner first try for a 4* hotel than the hotels you mentioned above. I'm assuming that MTE and MTW priceline zones are all acceptable to you (Times Square is not a priceline zone). If all of this is acceptable to you, this is how i would proceed given the prices of the other hotels you've mentioned above.

At the 4* level in NYC you have two re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]