CA San Francisco Monarch Cathedrall Hill

zbenye
By zbenye,
in

This hotel is quite close to the seedy Tenderloin, but only a block off Van Ness. There were some street people but they didn't bother anyone, and I did not feel unsafe. Even my motorcycle fared well parked on the street.

The building is very old, so I suspected soundproofing would not be good, and some of its rooms face the busy Geary street. I asked for a room facing the back, and got one. My view was of an ugly concrete-paved and fenced-off courtyard and the kitchen and bathroom windows of the low-end apartments in the adjacent building. But I didn't come here for the view.

The lobby was nice with a piano and a dining area where I presume breakfast was served. I did not eat there and only once during the stay did I see someone seated there, so I can't tell you anything about the food.

There's an old elevator with an expired posted permit. It worked fine.

The room was small (the queen bed occupied more than half the space). There were a desk, two chairs, two large drawers and two nightstands. A large closet. Iron+board in poor shape. The carpeted wooden floor squeeked. The TV was small, with a reasonable number of channels. Lighting was sufficient. There was only one available power outlet. No coffee maker (coffee available in the lobby). Everything was clean. The bed was very comfortable. It was quiet and dark at night so I slept very well here and that's all that matters.

The bathroom was just large enough. It was clean but could use some updating. The soap provided was nasty, but I read about that beforehand and arrived with my own soap and shampoo. The shower/tub had good hot water pressure. The towels were very poor quality.

Natural air-conditioning (windows). A wall-mounted heater did not have a temperature contol button so whenever the room got hot the heater had to be turned off.

The free wireless Internet connection worked great and was very fast.

No newspaper, no free local calls, no self-service guest laundry, no additional charges on checkout.

Priceline rates this hotel 2*. I'd say it is the very low end of 2*. Yet I had a very good stay here and would not hesitate to stay here again if I can't get something better.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]