Opaque booking agency for Paris

WillTravel
By WillTravel,
in

Hotwire doesn't have any bookings for European hotels, but the following agency sort of works in the same way, with some important differences.

http://www.france-hotel-online.com/fholv5/...icto-3star.html

The FAQ is here:

http://www.france-hotel-online.com/fholv5/...q-packages.html

The problem is that for Paris, they don't allow much choice in selecting your area. From the FAQ, "Our offer is only composed of 3 and 4 star hotels. All hotels are located in Paris safe and reputed districts such as 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th arrondissements.

We represent more than 400 hotels: 80% of the hotels are independent while 20% are members of small local chains groups. All of them offer excellent locations, safety, equipment, hospitality, service and cleanliness."

Look at a map - they are giving themselves a lot of scope there! Furthermore, you don't even find out what hotel until 24 hours before you are expected to arrive. Priceline allows more flexibility in choosing your area, and at least you get to know your hotel in advance once your bid is successful.

One important difference - you can cancel up to 48 hours in advance, for a 60 Euro fee. You cannot get any refund after that. I guess that is one benefit of not knowing your hotel until the last minute.

This is useful as yet another option.

========

The offers they provide are good until December 2004, with a few blackout days. For a 2-night stay at a 3* hotel, the cost is 69 Euros per night including tax and breakfast (about $88 USD at current rates). The breakfast is probably worth about 5 Euros per person. My guess is that this deal would be approximately equivalent to a bid in the range of $60-65 on Priceline (since taxes and service fees are added to the bid, and breakfast is usually not included).

We represent more than 400 hotels: 80% of the hotels are independent while 20% are members of small local chains groups.

As one never knows about quality when buying an opaque product, i would be even more leary of a company mostly dealing with 'independent' hotels. At least with Priceline/Hotwire mostly dealing with larger chains, there is some sort of 'accountability' and chain-wide standards. With an independent hotel, there is virtually no recourse if the place is not up to par.

I would guess that Priceline/Hotwire probably deal with 90% chain hotels and 10% independents.

The above is also a reason why i'm cautious of Boutique properties if i have no idea of what i'll be getting.... they're often small, cramped, with limited amenities (of course there are exceptions where Boutiques offer superior service, which is why i preface what i said to apply when the identity of the property is entirely unknown).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Plus the fact that you are dealing with a French agency, and all customer service issues will likely be even harder to resolve (particularly if you are on this side of the Atlantic). Paris hotel rooms are known for being tiny at the best of times.

I know some people prefer to book small hotels with "local charm", but in a situation where I don't know know the hotels personally, I think I'd prefer a chain hotel because of the likelihood of better plumbing and set standards.

I wrote them to ask if twin beds could be obtained with the 3* package and got a reply.

Twin rooms are available if our 3 star packages.

Please add "twin bed requested" in the comments field of the

reservation

form.

Package price for the twin is the same : 69 euros/night with breakfast

and

all taxes.

Merci,

Pierre

www.france-hotel-online.com

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]