Canada Toronto Sheraton Centre Downtown

hatson
By hatson,
in

Stayed here 4 nights 10/19-10/22. When we arrived and went to the front desk to check in, I gave my name and the clerk said you have a priceline prepaid double accomodation no smoking. I called prior to check in and asked for a king nonsmoking. I asked the clerk if we could have a king nonsmoking and she said that priceline customers get whatever is available at check-in and that there were no kings available. I got the impression from her that because we were priceline customers we weren't entitled to a king. We (husband and I) were given a double room nonsmoking in the Richmond East tower on the 9th floor. The room was very nice. Clean, modern decor. The only negative was the double bed. For $78.00 it's hard to complain. I am very fussy and this hotel was super nice. The restaurants were pricey though. How about $15.00 for a hamburger platter. We self parked across the street in the municpal public parking lot underground, which was a lot cheaper than the hotel charges. The parking garage had underground access to the hotel, which was great. All in all, for $78.00, a very nice hotel.

• 1 year later...

I stayed at the Sheraton last night and thought it was great even though they put me in the smallest room in the building. For future reference, if they try and put you in any room with room number 28 or 30, try and switch to something else. But the amenities, service, and location are all excellent in my opinion.

• 6 months later...

I stayed at the Sheraton Centre Toronto August 22-25 on a $70 / night Priceline bid. Friends and I got a bloc of four rooms via PL for a three-day reunion.

The good: it's a big, classy, centrally located property right across the street from Toronto City Hall. It's more than 40 stories tall, you can see it for miles, and from the high floors the views are incredible. Although it's a vintage '70s-era property and the "bones" show its age, some lobby and room fixtures are recent updates, and the public spaces are always buzzing with energy. Rooms have flat-screen HDTVs and "green" light bulbs. New and VERY comfortable beds.

Not so good: I was loudly identified at check-in as a Priceline customer and told "you have to take whatever we can give you." My room was relatively tiny with one queen bed -- compare to a European three-star hotel. It was on the fourth floor, directly above the ballrooms, and opened right onto the high-traffic elevator bank; clearly one of the least desirable rooms in the house. Sluggish water flow, weak air conditioning, no fridge or minibar, no proper closet (just a half-pint armoire not big enough to hang a shirt straight), dated wallpaper.

Considering the location and that normal room rates start well over CAN$200, if you can get the Sheraton Centre @ $70 or so and can remain cheerful as you are forcefully reminded of your second-class-citizen status, you'll probably be happy. But I have won the Marriott Eaton Centre, a smaller and newer 4* property just a block away, on a previous PL bid, and on the whole I would prefer to be up there.

I stayed at the Sheraton for a night in July 2008 and had a wonderful experience. Our room was on the 23rd floor and overlooked Nathan Phillips Square (a local attraction and civic space). The rooms were good sized for any downtown hotel, very clean, and modern.

The amenities are superb, and the very large heated swimming pool was definitely a major bonus, as well as the whirlpool. The hotel is connected to the Toronto's PATH system of underground shoppes and restaurants that snakes underneath a large majority of the downtown core. It is virtually in the centre of downtown and is in close proximity to everything around: major shopping malls, good restaurants, bar/club district, etc.

I did not have the same experience on check-in as some of the other people here have, with no mention being made about our reservation through PRICELINE. I guess sometimes it is just luck of the draw, but in the end this is a really nice hotel, and massive (over 1300 guest rooms).

• 6 months later...

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Toronto Sharaton Centre. Check in was swift and no mention about room being pre-paid". They were extremely courteous and treated us just as they were treating the people next to me that had booked a suite.

We arrived at 11 am and thought we would have to leave our luggage in th eholding area to wait for room but they let us check in early! They gave us a room in the Richmond Tower (which I called ahead of time and was assured they would not) that was 82 deg. f in there due to A/C not on in building yet and that side of building got direct sun. At the time of early check in, that was all that was available as there were a few conventions departing and no double rooms clean or available in the Queen Tower at that time but said they could move us in the morning. The heat in the room was unbearable, so I went to the desk and infomred them that my husband has asthma and cannot be in a room that I cannot cool down and was concerned. They actually made the effort to get a room cleaned for us and moved us into a Queen Tower room with aq city view that night. They were very accomodating and nice about it as well!

Room was basic, two double beds (prefer two queens). Bathroom was spacious. Room was clean and had the basic amenities, as well as hairdryer and iron. Took the kids to the pool which was warm and clean. Pool is half indoors and half outdoors. Kids loved that! You can't beat the location. We did not eat at the hotel, as it was too pricy and there are too many preferrable choices near by. Hotel charges for internet and local calls, which I personally find a bit silly, since there are many budget hotels that offer these for free.

All in all, it was a great experience, would recommend and we will definately go back.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]