Priceline Hotel: 4* Honolulu (Waikiki Beach) Hawaii Prince

jpdx
By jpdx,
in

Due to the recent changes made to the Outrigger Reef on the Beach (*** to Resort), the "literature" on PL bidding for WN needs to be rewritten. In the past, a bid for WN **** would (virtually) always yield the Hawaii Prince, but now it is quite likely that such a bid yields the Reef, an entirely undesirable proposition:

( a ) The typical range for accepted bids for the Prince is $125-129+.

( b ) The Reef is available for $132 through Sabre outlets (when staying >4 nights), so a price/bid in the Prince range clearly is too high (the Prince goes for around $180 on most websites).

( c ) Even though it is closer to Waikiki, most people would agree that the the Reef is inferior to the Prince.

So what can be done?

( 1 ) It seems as though there is no current solution to the dilemma, leading me to conclude that ( a ) WN **** bids are to be avoided altogether, or ( b ) the lowest accepted price for the Outrigger needs to be figured out. I assume that the $125-129 bids get caught in some of the highest rate brackets the Reef has filed with PL. I've made several bids in the $50-70 range for WN Resorts, but have not been successful. Does anyone have added insights about the Reef's PL pricing structure (the lows, specifically)?

( 2 ) Does anyone have any experiences with Oahu on the Asian Pricelines? I assume their star rating is not necessarily the same? I've placed several bids in the past, but never had any successful bids at the levels that got accepted by PL US (supporting the general assumption that PL Asia is more expensive than PL US).

( 3 ) Are there any reports on how this affects $150+ Resort bids? Do they yield the Reef, or still the Village etc? I assume PL wouldn't dare allow the Reef to file prices in those ranges, but I may be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what might be helpful is to look at what Hotwire offers.

For example, I am looking at January 14 - 20, 2007. Hotwire has the following:

4-star hotel in Waikiki Waterfront (Oceanfront, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Spa Services) - Customer Favorite for $169

This is presumably the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki, based on the Hotwire Hotel List - Hawaii.

3.5-star hotel in Waikiki Beachfront (Beachfront, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Laundry Facilities, Spa Services, Children's Activity Program) for $199

This is presumably the Outrigger Reef on the Beach, based on the Hotwire Hotel List - Hawaii.

Therefore, given that the price for the Hawaii Prince is lower than for the Outrigger Reef, one would expect that a successful bid in 4* Waikiki North for these dates would yield the much-preferred Hawaii Prince, instead of an "upgrade" to the "resort" Outrigger Reef.

However, this hypothesis is NOT consistent with the prices listed on the hotel's respective websites. The lowest price for the Hawaii Prince is $185 (AARP rate) whereas the lowest rate for the Outrigger Reef is $177. We do know that hotel website prices don't necessarily indicate what price is available to Priceline or Hotwire, so I wouldn't say this data disproves the theory.

Applying my theory, the most recent winning bid of $126 for a 4* in Waikiki North landed an "upgrade" to the Outrigger Reef for November 12. A check on Hotwire for this date shows:

(Presumed) Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki: $164

(Presumed) Outrigger Reef on the Beach: $142

...which would be consistent with the "upgrade" to the Outrigger Reef.

I might personally test this theory in a few days...

• 2 weeks later...

Using Priceline just got harder again... they have now combined the Waikiki North and Waikiki South zones into ONE HUGE ZONE: Waikiki Beach Area! Now instead of a few possibilities for 4*, there are now several 4* and Resort properties that may come up as potential successful bids when bidding for 4*. These include, but are not limited to:

Resort Hilton Hawaiian Village

Resort Sheraton Waikiki (The Royal Hawaiian)

Resort Sheraton Moana Surfrider

Resort Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

4* Outrigger Reef on the Beach (previously 4*, then 3*, then Resort, now 4* again)

4* Hawaii Prince Hotel

4* Marriott Waikiki Beach

As noted above, the Outrigger Reef on the Beach is now listed as a 4* on Priceline Vacations.

I'm very glad I bid when I did, and won the Hawaii Prince...

It's actually TWO zone... City and Beach.

Since you seem to know the area well, do you know which hotels are in the City zone and which would be in the Beach zone?

This is another reason, often forgotten about, of why we suggest (at least to try) bidding early. Not only can zones change for the worse, the number of re-bid zones can also change which makes bidding a lot tougher. If you think you can get a good deal now... try to!

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for all the responses!

I tested AEmgee's theory; Hotwire was showing the Prince for $169 and the Reef for $229 for 11/22-24. I ended up getting the Prince for $119 (same-day bid).

I'm not sure how to feel about the re-zoning in Waikiki; it doesn't change much for me, as I'm happy with any resort/4* (except the Reef); and Waikiki Central is as good a free rebid zone as Waikiki N/S was.

Thanks for all the responses!

I tested AEmgee's theory; Hotwire was showing the Prince for $169 and the Reef for $229 for 11/22-24. I ended up getting the Prince for $119 (same-day bid).

I'm not sure how to feel about the re-zoning in Waikiki; it doesn't change much for me, as I'm happy with any resort/4* (except the Reef); and Waikiki Central is as good a free rebid zone as Waikiki N/S was.

jpdx: Congrats! What a great price for the Hawaii Prince, and I'm glad my little "trick" worked for you as well.

thereuare: It looks like jpdx was bidding for November 22-24?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]