Hotwire Hotel: 3* Los Angeles (Redondo Beach-Manhattan Beach) Best Western Redondo

DenverLogan
By DenverLogan,
in

Yesterday (10/18) I bid for a 3* on Priceline at $84 and lost. I was hoping for the Crowne Plaza which I won last year. Couldn't find any surrounding areas that didn't list a 3*, so I didn't rebid.

Instead, I got the Best Western Redondo Beach thru Hotwire for a base of $99.

Best Western Redondo Beach Inn

1850 S Pacific Coast Highway

Redondo Beach, California90277

(310) 540-3700

1 room(s) @ $103.00 per night x 1 night(s)

Taxes, recovery charges, and fees

Hotel subtotal $103.00

$17.35

$120.35

Total

Some hotels may apply additional charges for incidental fees such as parking. Prices are in $USD. $120.35

Note: There's a better BW closer to the piers.

Here's the Problem...most websites listed this as a 2.5* (Hotwire said they have their own rating system), and were less money in the base price and final price. So I wrote them this email:

Hello, I've been a Hotwire user for years, and have written in travel blogs and sites about my success. Tonight was the first let down.

This hotel is listed as less than your price and star rating on at least three sites; I'd like a refund rather than double the difference refund as this hotel has bad reviews. Sources for lower star ratings and price:

Expedia.com $89 base - $102.44 w/tax

Hotels.com $89 base - $102.44 w/tax

Orbitz.com $89 base - $102.44 w/tax

Travelocity"]Travelocity.com $94 base - 108.80 w/tax

Priceline:

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $94.88

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $94.88

Taxes & Fees: $15.48

Total Charges*: $110.36

Here's the details from Hotels.com where I can cancel with a full refund:

Best Western Redondo Beach Inn

Check-in: November 06, 2006

Check-out: November 07, 2006

Rooms & Guests change travel details

2 Adults, 0 Children

1 Standard room

Rates per Room

(excluding tax recovery charges and our service fees) November 06, 2006 ---- $89.00

TripBucks Free

Tax Recovery Charges

& Service Fees $13.44

Total Charges $102.44

(includes tax recovery charges and service fees

If you can cancel this reservation, please let me know. If not, please refund double the difference ($20) to:

####

Yeehaw!!! Anybody still with me? :)

They said on the phone and in their site notes that they don't refund. Talking to a stupervisor got me nowhere, but they did respond to my email. Today I got a $28 refund to my account. They honored their double the difference guarantee although I'm still stuck with this potentially so-so hotel.

I felt that if most sites call this a 2.5, they should also...oh well. Priceline gave me a refund once when I accidentally entered the wrong month. I like Priceline!! I should have bid higher on Priceline, but was cautious. With Hotwire I gambled as I could find no recent listing of a winning Hotwire success on Betterbidding for LA - Redondo Beach.

Anyway, I got a decent price and location overall. this Best Western didn't get the highest ratings, but overall they'll be no crying in my beer :)

Amenities: Shuttle, Fitness, Swimming & Business Center.

Also, I listed my base as $99, but it should have been $103. The price changed within two hours of when I first looked at it and when I purchased. :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]