Priceline Hotel: 4* Downtown NYC advice needed

Ams
By Ams,
in

Hi,

I have just had 2 unsuccessful bids on 4* downtown/SOHO. I tried the free bids technique ie. 1st bid just downtown, then second bid downtown and upper west side which has no 4* hotels. Raised my bid, but still rejected.

Then tried downtown with upper east side with another increase (150) but still rejected.

Any tips? The trip is for 4 nights from 28th Oct-1st Nov.

Also trying to book from overseas with no US State or ZIP code! I made one up and it seemed to be Ok...it got through to the rejection page anyway!

Cheers.

Hi,

I thought 150 would be Ok judging by past winning bids, but didn't realise it was the the week before the marathon! I could go up to 180, 190 at a push.

I'm looking at downtown as I'd like to be away from the neon lights of Times Square and thought it would be a good option. Either downtown or near Central Park would be great.

Cheers.

While the Marathon can contribute to hotel demand, that may not be the main culprit affecting this stay. The Hilton is the only 4* downtown that often accepts bids at the sub-$150 level, and the rates you're seeing are from the summertime which is a much lower demand perdiod than the Fall (regardless of the marathon).

Although i'm usually the first to advise people to not want to stay in Times Square (as it's great to look at but NYC has so much more to offer) i also don't know if i necessarily recommend the Downtown area as it can be a bit 'out of the way' for the typical tourist who will be spending more of their time in midtown (but don't know your specific plans so can't say for your individual needs). Likewise, i wouldn't necessarily avoid the Times Square area if that's where the best deal could be had... while a few hotels are in the heart of Times Square, most are not on Broadway/Sixth Ave and therefore with most 'wins' you wouldn't be in the 'heard of things' and affected by the lights and crowds.

Rates have been very high for NYC this season and given your previous rejections i'd consider adding MTE, MTW, and MTS to your bidding (in addition to UM/CPS) to maximize your bidding opportunities and increase the number of hotels willing to accept your bid. However, it's your stay, so you have to decide if these other zones are acceptable to you or not.

Let us know your thoughts on the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the response.

My main reason for choosing Downtown was because I've been visited NY once before, staying in Greenwich Village, and would much prefer that kind of stay rather than the noisy, neon lights near Times Square.

I don't know NY very well though and would appreciate your tips on good quiet-ish places that have nice cafes nearby.

Is Upper Midtown/Central Park South a good option?

Cheers again.

I don't believe UM/CPS will have the type of cafes you are looking for... nor will they be reasonabl priced. Everything in the area is generally overpriced and relative to other parts of the city. You may find some cafes in the UES and UWS as they are more 'neighborhood-y'... but as a result they don't have a large number of hotels in the area (nor do they currently offer 4* bidding) and therefore may not be a good area either.

All is not lost though, for as i often say, everything in NYC is "close" because it is such a compact area and mass transit is so cheap and easily/readily accessable... which is why i don't think bidding in MTE/MTW areas woudl be such a bad thing. Your hotel may not be in the exact location you want (although most likely not on the neon-strip of Times Square you're trying to avoid), but it will provide quick and easy transportation to just about any area of the city you want to hang out.

It's up to you what areas you ultimately decide you want to include in your bidding, but unfortunately as nyc hotel prices have skyrocketed this fall season, a budget of $200 isn't as much of a 'sure thing' as it was just a few months ago, and if you're looking for the best value for your dollar you'll likely need to expand your acceptable zones a bit. I do know the area pretty well, and while i agree with you that staying somewhere away from the touristy neon lites of Times Square is desirable, i think staying in MTE or MTW is certainly better than your original zone selection of Downtown as far as getting around to other parts of the city.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The answer to your questions is that MTE is quieter than MTW, but...

Please try to understand what i am trying to say above... based upon current rates your budget is not a likely enough for a 4* hotel for these dates. Therefore, unless you have a suitable back-up reservation/plan, i would recommend that you consider all possible zones.

Do you have a back-up reservation anywhere? (if so, where and how much)

My first and foremost advice is it include all the possible zones you are willing to accept... but it's not my trip so only you can determine if the other zones are acceptable or not.

Which zone(s) are you willling to bid? Which zone(s) have you already bid? (it appears only MTE and UM/CPS... and previously Downtown)

Willing to bid MTE, UM/CPS and MTW at a push

This still doesn't tell us if which zones to include in a bidding strategy for you... you either need to tell us that it is ok to add the MTW zone or it's not.

However, i'd re-read thru your thread, i think you're already "there" in the sense that you need to include as many zones as possible. You don't have to include it, but you've already gone beyond your original budget by not including it and have been gradually increasing your maximum bid.

Why not MTS too?

Glad to see you hop on board :)

You have two re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(start at least 24 hour after your previously rejected bid so that you don't have any duplicate bid problems from prior bids)

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and MTS...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225.

The above will systematically take you thru all your possible scenarios and up to your maximum bid.

If the above fails, then it will be time to explore further and see if you'd rather SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID or lower to a 3*.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Hi again,

Thanks for the info so far. Sorry to be a pain, but could you advise on a strategy for MTE, MTW and UM/CPS without MS starting at 4*, going up to 225.

Want to avoid MTS because not sure of the 4* hotels there...mixed reviews.

Many thanks.

Without MTS....

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Select 4* MTE and MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225.

can you please list your dates of travel? If they are the same as your Priceline trip, no need to start a new Hotwire thread as the heading can be edited to reflect your ultimate"win". You seemed to be having difficulty for the Saturday night of your trip, what is the rate for Saturday night alone?

Hi,

Dates I'm looking for are Sat 28th Oct and Sun 29th Oct. Don't want to split. I see that some people have had success with 4* for the Sunday at less than 175. Prices for the Saturday are nearer $300 it seems.

Thought I had to start a new thread for the Hotwire area. As my other quereis were for Priceline (for the same trip though).

Cheers.

I see that some people have had success with 4* for the Sunday at less than 175. Prices for the Saturday are nearer $300 it seems
This is why you should consider splitting your bid if you're looking for the best deal/value for your dollar.
It's 294 a night
The above HOTWIRE hotel is probably the Inter-Continental The Barclay, although a slight chance it could also be the Grand Hyatt. Howeer, isn't this over your budget? If you do book it, please use this HOTWIRE link to begin any purchases you make.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]