Priceline Hotel: Puerto Rico bidding help

kimmie76
By kimmie76,
in

I am trying to bid on a resort in Puerto Rico. I would really like to stay in San Juan, but I will go to the Rio Grande-Humacao area. I have seen many get the Caribe Hilton for $65. I actually saw one post that got it several months ago for the same dates that we will be there for $65. Here's what I've done so far.

10/4/06: Bid#1 San Juan $45 - rejected

added Grande-Humacao - $50 - rejected

added Dorado (free re-bid zone) - $55 - rejected

added Mayaguez (free re-bid zone) - $60 - rejected

10/5/06 Bid#2 San Juan $65 - rejected

added Grande-Humacao - $70 - rejected

added Dorado (free re-bid zone) - $75 - rejected

Should I wait a few days and see if the Caribe Hilton opens up more rooms? What has been the experience when getting closer to the travel dates? How close to my travel date should I start bidding again? My travel dates are 11/23-11/25 for 2 rooms; is it more expensive this time of year (wouldn't think so, since someone else got it for $65 for same dates)? Thanks for any help!!!

No, I do not have a back-up reservation as of yet. I really didn't want to go over $80, since I've seen others get the Caribe Hilton for $65. That's why I was wondering if I should wait a little while to see if more rooms opened up at a lower price. What do you think? Thanks for the help!

If you check rates diretly from the Caribe Hilton they are a bit higher than usual, so based upon current rates a bid below $80 is not likely to be accepted in the San Juan area. As far as Rio-Humacao, HOTWIRE shows a 4* Resort for $190/nite for these dates, and although priceline is often a bit cheaper, it's not typically 50% cheaper.

It used to be that San Juan was notorious for releasing rooms very late, but here is an example of somebody not able to win a hotel in San Juan for next month while somebody else won the Caribe Hilton on Priceline 9 months earlier.

Based upon current rates I think you're going to need to be flexible somewhere... either in your budget or star rating.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]