LA New Orleans InterContinental CBD

paulieuk
By paulieuk,
in

Downtown hotel a few blocks from Canal Street. Street level entrance, with hotel gift/convenience store off it, leads directly to escalators up to the lobby and the reception desk, which is fairly small, with room for three staff only. The welcome was professional and friendly and despite arriving a few hours before check-in time I was offered a choice of rooms (number/size of bed, and smoking or non).

My room is on the 8th floor, a king room. It's a good size, with what I'd call modern but tradiitonal furniture and fittings, with a wide desk and a large comfortable easy chair. It's all clean and in very good condition. It was explained when I checked-in that the mini-bar would be empty (it is powered and so can be a useful refridgerator), but that room service was available until 11pm (I think these things remain down to staff shortages in New Orleans). The TV has a very wide range of cable channels, including those like BBC America, that you don't often find in hotels. There's also free highspeed wifi in my room and the in-room safe is plenty big enough for a laptop computer.

I received a courtesy call shortly after getting to my room, welcoming me to the hotel, explaining the help available from 'instant service' if required and asking if there was anything I needed now. The Concierge was friendly and helpful (yes, I know that's the point of them, but it's not always the case!).

Today (3 October) was the first time the Club Lounge has opened since Hurricane Katrina - after issues of staff shortage and, I suspect, lack of demand. For $30 per night we upgraded to Club access, so buffet breakfast in the lounge, refreshments during the day, open bar (beer, wine, cocktails) and hors d'oeurve between 5pm and 7pm. There was also the option of upgrading the room too, to a 14th floor Club room for $50 per night - but having looked at one, the main difference was a slightly more high-end finish to the room, such a polished floor in the entrance part of the room and feather down duvet (not needed when it's 90F outside!) - but most things were identical including room size.

In all, no problems with the room or the property and the service was exactly what an international 4-star standard should be.

• 4 years later...

I'm not seeing any reviews of this hotel for five years, which seems odd. At any rate, my son and I booked Hotwire room here for $65/night, four nights in late July 2011. It's a perfect location, IMO, because it is only a few blocks from the French Quarter, but in the business district, so very quiet. We had a nice big room with all necessary amenities, and excellent customer service from everyone. If you stay there, pop into the hotel bar and say hi to Courtney for a touch of the warmth and friendliness that typifies New Orleans locals.

I can't recommend this enough.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]