EWR Newark Midsize Hertz

actraveler
By actraveler,
in

Boy, did I have a tough time with this one.

Payless Rent-A-Car has a nationwide special for $30/day on mid-size rentals which I was able to book on their website. The negative is that they are off-airport.

I tried and tried and tried my repeated offer of $25 per day for 2 weeks having had unlimited success with it before, but I kept getting rejected.

So the night before I was leaving, at 1AM, I figured I would give it one last shot. TADA!!! Confirmed with Hertz. Luckily, as a #1 Gold member they upgraded me to a mini SUV (Ford Escape) at no extra charge.

For you EWR bidders, I would say that 9/10 times at EWR with Avis or Hertz, I have been upgraded becase they are sold out of mid-size cars so these days I am reluctant to book larger unless I have to.

Overall, on a dollar basis, Payless would have been cheaper, but travel time in a shuttle led me to pay more (about $13) through Priceline so I cold be on the Monorail line and have a better shot at a free upgrade (in this case a 5 level upgrade).

Hal

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]