Priceline Hotel: Resort Maui (Wailea-Makena) Renaissance

jools1006
By jools1006,
in

Need help with bidding strategy please... I'm planning this trip for my mother's 60th birthday and I'd like to take her to as nice a place as possible, so I'm hoping for a resort.

I've more or less ruled out the Kaanapali area because I'd prefer to avoid the Whaler. I've read that it doesn't usually come up as a name-your-own-price result, but I'm not willing to risk being the first to receive it!

So that leads me to Wailea. I see that the Sheraton and Renaissance have come up at $175 for similar dates, but are being quoted in the mid 400's on regular sites, so what should my starting price be?

Many thanks in advance - this site is the best.

You have two re-bid zones availablel when bidding Resort in Maui. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select Resort Wilea-Makena...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Resort Wilea-Makena and re-bid zone2...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160.

If the above is rejected post back and we'll revise for you to try again in 24 hours.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you don't get all your days at $180, you could try to bid for some of them. If you read past posts, you'll see how you can "play around" with the days on hotwire and priceline vacations to try to guess if you have a "problem day" when the rates are significantly higher. Take that problem day out, and try for the remaining days.

Additionally, I would say it's silly to not bid for Kaanapali because there's a "bad" hotel there that COULD be included. If no one has gotten it, the odds are excellent you won't be first. If you're not comfortable "playing the odds" and absolutely won't tolerate a "surprise," you shouldn't be using priceline -- especially in Hawaii, where you'll be paying a lot of money whereever you stay. Just like it's theoretically possible the Whaler could show in Kaanapali, it's theoretically possible that Priceline could add an unknown, lesser property in Wailea.

Another strategy you could use is to bid for only a couple of days at whichever destination you prefer, and then try to use the "add days" function. This way if you get a dog of a property, you're not locked in for the whole trip. The downside is the extra days might not be available, and that you'll pay a few extra dollars in priceline fees.

Life -- and priceline bidding -- is full of tradeoffs and risks. :)

Sorry for the delay in replying - I had a busy few days in which my travel plans were sidelined.

Well, I tried bidding this morning and won the Renaissance Wailea at $160 per night, for Oct 23-30. :)

This seems like a great price because rates are being quoted at over $300 per night, on PL, the hotel's own website and Expedia etc.

So I'm very pleased. :)

I accessed PL through the Savingsbarn link, and followed the advice above.

First bid of $140 was rejected.

I added Kihei and bid $150, which was rejected.

I closed browser, re-entered and added Kihului zone, and bid $160, which was accepted by the Renaissance.

So the scheme worked brilliantly, and I thank you all very much.

Now I just have to figure out whether to go to Kauai or the Big Island for the first week of our trip!

The $160 rate at the Renaissance is very good -- you won't get a resort for less on Maui these days. While this hotel is not my personal favorite, it is still quite nice, and Wailea is more convenient for sightseeing on Maui than Kaanapali.

In deciding whether to choose the Big Island or Kauai for your other week, you might want to bid FIRST, and then buy your inter-island airline tickets (which are quite cheap these days due to a brusing fare war). Kauai and the Big Island are very different. I think the vast majority of Hawaii visitors will agree with me that, based on overall atmosphere and beauty, Kauai beats the Big Island. On the other hand, the Big Island arguably has better resorts and has the spectacular volcano. Personally, if I had to choose, I wouldn't seriously consider the Big Island UNLESS I could get an over-the-top resort at a good price, like the Hilton Waikoloa. Even then, I'd still probably pick Kauai. But everyone is different.

If you do the Big Island, and want to see the Volcano, it's smart to spend at least one or two nights on the east side of the island (away from the resorts). As the name implies, the Big Island is, well, big.

Congratulations on your win!

Thank you for sharing it with the board and for starting your bids with the priceline hotel links at SavingsBarn.com

Although i have never been to Big Island (or Maui), I have been to Kauai. We had a great time while on Kauai, but it's a very quiet island with most of the activities taking place during the daytime hours (swimming, hiking, snorkeling, etc). If you're looking for nitelife, there isn't too much of it, and the majority of the stores, restaurants, etc are closed by 10pm or so. Three days may be too short, but one week may be too long (I'm not saying it is too long, but for some who are looking for 'action' it may be)... i'd consider splitting the week and trying to see both Kauai and Big Island (if plausible).

Thanks again for the post.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Given the current interisland trips, it can certainly make sense to island-hop. Although the vast majority of visitors to the Big Island go to the Kona side, I don't really see the point of that other than to stay at a 5-star resort. If you don't want to do that, or it would be merely repetitive of your Maui experience (or if the price is "wrong" because there's no availability on priceline), you could skip the Big Island OR just fly into Hilo for a couple of days and see the Volcano and east side sights, and then spend 5 days on Kauai. The best stuff to SEE on the Big Island is on the east side. I personally think Kona is missable.

But I'm sure SOMEBODY disagrees! :)

I agree that the Renaissance is not the fanciest of the fancy, but for that rate I certainly can't argue!

Looking at the dates, we actually only have five days to spend somewhere before going to Maui, so that's probably just enough for one island.

Nightlife isn't really a factor, because I'm taking my mother for her birthday, so dining and perhaps some shopping will be as fast-paced as our evenings get! :)

Of the two choices (Big Island and Kauai) I'm really leaning towards Kauai but still have to narrow down the area and the accomodation.

Any recommendations? Lonestar, you're quite the advocate for Kauai!

Thanks again for all the support and advice - much appreciated!

Jools1006, great deal on Maui!

I would guess your Mom would be happier with Kauai. And, Kauai is a good place to consider LoneStar's 'attractive alternative' options. Higher end hotels are very expensive and what you save on accommodations could buy some other lifetime experience--maybe Air Kauai helicopter tour that takes in Waimea Canyon and Jurassic Park Falls. ($$$$). But hey, how else do you celebrate 60? Alternately there is a movie tour that sounds like fun and takes in many places where films were shot.

Shopping will be good in Wailea. Sounds like you are flying into Honolulu. If so, why not a night in Waikiki at the Moana? Or at least afternoon tea there. It's any easy walk down to the Royal Hawaiian, too. And you won't find a nicer place for sunset cocktails than House Without A Key at the Halekulani. Of course, you could skip all of this, but why?

LoneStar, I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Kona. But I'm not a fan of Lahaina either!

It's the sunsets on the BI that are amazing, and driving along the coast in a convertible at sunset is something else. Mauna Kea is another world, too, at sunset.

Hope your mother has the best time ever and you make some wonderful memories!!

Yup, I'd agree with KohalaSunset that a couple nights on Waikiki are a good addition to a Hawaii vacation.

On Kauai, I'm a big fan of the Waimea Plantation Cottages, but they're not for every one. You get an "Old Hawaii" experience in your own cottage on a former sugar plantation. But you have to read the trip advisor reviews to see if it's "for you." Great Entertainment Card 50% off discount usually available, so even large 3-bedroom "deluxe" cottages go for $200 or less. Worth paying a little more for a "deluxe" cottage here, too.

There are a lot of fans of Poipu out there, and I'm also fond of the north shore. I've never found a good value place up by Princeville. However, I'm sure they're out there -- and some might find it worthwhile to spend a couple days on the south shore with a couple days on the north.

Folks have had only limited success with priceline resort bidding on Kauai of late.

I think there are some nice B&Bs on Kauai. And some condo rentals that are reasonable. One thing--not a lot of A/C on the island, if that's important. There are some resorts available through PL, but look at Tripadvisor and Frommer's forums, also. South Shore is sunnier, but North Shore is more dramatic. Sunset at Princeville is stunning over the mountains. Before bidding, call a few hotels and see if there are any major repairs from heavy rainfall last March-April.

In my opinion, the Hyatt is the nicest hotel on the island; not surprisingly one of the most expensive as well! :)

I wouldn't stay at the Princeville... too far north to effectively tour the island and the 'feel' just was not my style.

We stayed at the Kauai Coast at the Beachboy and thought the location was great... near 'town' to grab essentials when we needed them as well as some restaurants, and was inbetween the North Shore and the South shore for touring. We had a nice 1BR suite which proved to be great since we had our daughter with us (under 1 year old at the time) and she was able to sleep in a crib in the (separate) living room... as well as a full kitchen and balcony. Far from a 'mega-resort', but it served our needs well.

In the same Coconut Grove Marketplace area was a Courtyard which i had visited since it was our back-up property and i wanted to check it out. I was dissuaded from it because it is a 'business hotel', and although we were quite pleased with the Kauai Coast, i would have no issues staying at the Courtyard if i could get a good deal... much more upscale than a 'business courtyard' and it would have served our needs fine as well (but since traveling with our daughter we find that suite type properties, with refrigerator, work best for us)

If money is no object, or you can find a deal, the Hyatt would be the hotel i would try to target, but you better get a good deal because everything on the property (food, restaurants, drinks, etc) are equally as expensive! After the Hyatt, it's a "give and take" as far as what's important to you.

I tooked pictures of all hotels i visited on the island and are at our sister site: RealHotelPhotos.com

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]