Priceline Hotel: Suggestions for Kings Canyon and Visalia area?

AztecWolverine
By AztecWolverine,
in

My brother and his Australian kids are traveling to Kings Canyon tomorrow. They are somewhat prepared to camp out, but if I could find reasonable and close accomodations to the park, they might be interested. The only Priceline bid I found was for the 2* Comfort Inn in Visalia. Any other suggestions for accomodations closer to the park? Three Rivers has a Holiday Inn Express. They have a $99.19 Great Rate, but no Entertainment discount available. Has anyone stayed in Giant Forest or Cedar Grove? I've heard they are very expensive. How about Wilsonia?

Thanks for the replies. The 3 Rivers hotels around $99 is too steep for his budget after buying airfare from Australia! I got him a great 3* Doubletree in Bakersfield for $55. That is more in line what I was hoping for...As for Hotwire, I've been burned by them with their 2 1/2* Rated motels which are really 1* or less quality - a Super 8, for ex. So with Hotwire I'd want to stick with 3* +, but with Priceline I can trust their 2 1/2* rated properties. My brother went on in to the Parks, but will call me when he wants to come out for a shower, etc., and break for the kids -- we're not sure how well they will handle camping out for the first time, especially since they didn't have much time to prepare.....On their last day they will stay in Fresno or Visalia. Any suggestions there? (I have done some Priceline research there already)

Has anyone stayed in the properties in the Parks? John Muir Lodge, Wuksachi Lodge, Stony Creek Lodge, Cedar Grove Lodge, and the Montecito Sequoia Lodge? The last property I was particularly intrigued with--I've never seen such wildly contrasting reviews before in Tripadvisor!!!! The Cedar Grove seems to be the best value--it's AAA approved, and up the Kings Canyon.....The others seem quite overpriced for what you get (typical concessions)....noise problems, ventilation problems, no elevators, rodents, etc...... :)

ewismer and pterrell have both stayed at quite a variety of Fresno properties. Have they ever written reviews of any of the properties? (sorry, I've forgotten if you have a place for them on your web site, thereuare). Is there any way to contact them, and ask for suggestions? :)

I would guess that they now both prefer 2 1/2 or 3 * properties to the 2* ones....

Thanks Thereuare. Now I remember that I even posted a few reviews there! But there were only two in Fresno, and neither review was from the frequent stayers I mentioned. If they ever post again maybe you could ask them to post a review from the benefit of their experience.....

Thanks again.

My brother did stay at the Montecito Sequoia Lodge in the Park (not Priceline or Hotwire), and it was great for the kids, with lots of activities. But it is expensive, and poorly designed, with hardly any windows, even though they are in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Rooms are shabby...

• 1 year later...
ewismer and pterrell have both stayed at quite a variety of Fresno properties. Have they ever written reviews of any of the properties? (sorry, I've forgotten if you have a place for them on your web site, thereuare). Is there any way to contact them, and ask for suggestions? :)

I would guess that they now both prefer 2 1/2 or 3 * properties to the 2* ones....

Sorry I missed this thread...stumbled on it when I was doing a search for some of my old postings. And it really made me smile. I guess that over the past few years, I've moved upmarket. But much of that preference comes from scoring some great deals on Priceline. It's that Shatner pitch about staying at a four star for the price of a two star! :)

I've also moved upmarket in dining, but that's 'cause I purchase Restaurant.com certificates and Entertainment books.

As to the topic of the post, many of the hotels I stay at in Fresno are frequented by bus tour groups that are in transit to the national parks. Very good places to stay, but all a couple of hours from the park destinations. So they're good if you plan on spending a day in Sequoia NP, then a day in Yosemite, then off to LA or SF...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]