Priceline Hotel: It's gotten tougher in Hawaii

LoneStar
By LoneStar,
in

With room rates in Hawaii going to the moon -- based on strong demand -- it's gotten very tough to find priceline bargains in the islands. For example, less than 2 years ago, you could often get the Hilton Waikoloa for $135 and the nearby Marriott resort on the Big Island for under $100. That doesn't seem possible these days. And the odds of getting a resort for less than $150 on Maui -- particularly Kaanapali -- seem extremely remote.

Other than simply bidding higher (and really, when you start getting over $200 on priceline, it gets pretty silly), I recommend Hawaii vacationers consider some of the other options out there. The Entertainment Card still offers a 50% discount at many nice Hawaiian hotels (albeit usually not the most deluxe), and that can be good value. You can also try to bid on some of these 3-stars on priceline or hotwire, once you figure out how much they go for with the 50% discount.

Similarly, renting a room or cottage at a "mom-and-pop" b&b or vacation home/condo can be an attractive alternative.

If you simply "must" stay at a resort, consider some of the frequent flyer deals (both American and United currently have them) where you can buy a 5 night stay at a Starwood or Marriott resort for about $750, in exchange for at least considering their local timeshare properties (reports are that the sales pressure has been generally low key).

LoneStar, you have some great ideas for budget travel!

Priceline seems to be meeting the challenge of affordable resorts by upgrading renovated 3* properties to resort status. What that will do to its current (dare I say higher end resorts?) remains to be seen. It will make bidding more of a challenge, especially for unwanted upgrades from 4* to resort. I think 200+ is going to be the new norm during high seasons. Lots of properties have been sold and with renovations, room costs are bound to soar. In the past, I have seen great deals on packages through PL, so that could be an option.

B&Bs are a good alternative, but they account for about 1% of rooms. My experience is that a cottage or separate facilities are a much better choice. On the down side, you often have to pay well in advance, and refunds are subject to re-booking by the property.

Houses are great, but there are also cleaning fees and security deposits to consider (sometimes thousands of dollars).

Along with high demand, there seems to be a change in managerial positions. It must generate more revenue to keep prices higher in the current climate. I think we are all used to the idea that a hotel would rather get less on PL or Hotwire than let a room go unfilled. That may no longer be the case. Anyway, I hope someone else will add to the discussion!!

I'm not aware of any 3-star Hawaiian properties put into the priceline "resort" category, and I hope that doesn't happen. I suppose the Waikoloa Marriott will move up from 4 stars to resort, but that seems justified given the nature of the property and the millions of dollars being spent there on renovations.

Priceline would be dumb as dirt if they start filling $200 resort bids with "3 star" properties. Of course, priceline can be tone deaf so you never know for sure. Obviously, if we start getting reports of that here, that will be the end of the $200 bids from betterbidding readers!

Those who have followed the Hawaiian tourist business knows that there are great peaks and valleys in demand. Right now, it looks to me like a peak, as they are starting to price themselves out of the market. Most Californians, for example, will head to Mexico before paying $400/night to stay at the Sheraton in Hawaii.

I do urge anyone thinking of bidding more than $200 for a Hawaiian resort to consider the alternatives. Frankly, most Hawaiian resorts aren't really worth more than that, especially when you factor in the small room you will likely get and the rip-off prices charged for food and other services at the resort.

I do think folks can find reasonable alternatives above that price (including booking condos/hotels with the Entertainment Card discount). B&Bs and cottage/house rentals are available (and, as mentioned, watch out for things like cleaning fees). Sometimes they are good deals, sometimes not. Unless you MUST have the beachfront location (even though most Hawaiian resorts don't have great beaches), and you MUST have the "glamor" of a fancy hotel, I suspect most folks would be happier with "alternative" accomodations once you exceed the $200 price point.

I'm pretty sure Sheraton Kauai has gone from 3* to resort.

And if I read king maul's post about Outrigger Reef correctly, it too has gone from 3* to resort.

Also on BI the Sheraton Keauhou is now a resort--don't know it's previous status or availability, but it too has undergone renovations. Just looks like a trend to me. Oh and now more and more hotels are adding the ubiquitous "and spa"--as if Hawaii itself was an insufficient reason to travel.

The Whaler on Maui is listed in PL retail as resort, though I can't imagine they would offer it as opaque along with the other resort properties in Kaanapali. Personally, I find the PL definition of resort fascinating. Wonder what keeps Outrigger Waikiki a 4*? And can a renovation at Outrigger Keauhou change its status? A lot to consider.

I agree Marriott Waikoloa should reappear as resort if it is available on PL.

As for room costs, Maui has dropped to an average 205 now against a high of 288 over peak summer.

Seems to me if trends continue, next summer will see averages over 300 at which point 200 will look very attractive from PL. Just an opinion. I like to keep tabs on the market, too!!

Maybe PL will go to 5* ratings or Luxury to indicate more upscale resorts. The market in Hawaii is changing, that's for sure!

The Sheraton Kauai was ONCE a 3-star -- I can't remember the reasons (repairing hurricane damage, maybe?). Regardless, the hotel now routinely charges rates in the $300+ per night category, so it is clearly a "resort."

The Sheraton Keauhou is a massive remodel of an old resort south of Kona and -- from what I've heard and the prices they're charging -- is worthy of the "resort" label. BTW, this hotel seems popular these days -- I tried to make a reservation 6 months in advance, and they were sold out! It did pop up on priceline this summer for the first time since its reopen (about 2 years ago), but we haven't seen it come up much.

The Whaler on Maui is interesting because the "packages" feature lists it as a resort, but it's never been awarded on the opaque side to my knowledge. Obviously, if it were, it would annoy the folks bidding zillions of dollars for the more upscale Kaanapali resorts.

I'm not familiar with the Outrigger Reef property.

LoneStar, I think we have demonstrated that PL has identified the same need you pointed out--reasonable resort rates for Hawaii. I don't dispute the renovated properties deserve the upgrade to resort status. It was a creative solution by PL to capture more market and make Hawaii more affordable for more people. The win at Outrigger Reef was 125 and Sheraton Keauhou was 140. These rates are well below most other resorts, and come close to the 100-135 prices you reported for previous years!

Still there is an increased demand for higher end properties, as demonstrated by numerous renovations. Maui far outpaces the other islands in average room rates, and you either pay the price, or go elsewhere. PL has been able to provide rooms here as well, though the rates will have to go above the 200 range at times due to seasonal demand. I suppose you have to decide whether it is worth paying. For me the answer is yes. I want the best price I can get, but I still want to go to Maui. Somehow I will offset the cost before I go!

You made a compelling case for 'attractive alternatives', but a less convincing one for Mexico as an alternative to Hawaii. Beautiful as the Sea of Cortez may be, it's not Hawaii. You can have a wonderful time, but not an Aloha kind of time.

Enjoyed the discussion--glad we're on the same team!! FWIW--I noticed PL does have 5* category but I didn't see any hotel offerings in their retail inventory for Hawaii--so far! Feel free to have the last word here--it's your topic!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, the Outrigger Reef in Honolulu has been upgraded from 3* to Resort. So, what once was a 'sure-thing' for bidding 4* in Waikiki north to get the Prince, will now land you at this place. Just happened to me, and from following bidding reports of others, this switch only happened a couple of weeks ago, so beware!

• 3 months later...

If you simply "must" stay at a resort, consider some of the frequent flyer deals (both American and United currently have them) where you can buy a 5 night stay at a Starwood or Marriott resort for about $750, in exchange for at least considering their local timeshare properties (reports are that the sales pressure has been generally low key).

Lonestar,

Do you have any more info on the Marriott version of this deal? I'm trying to arrange something in Kauai and Maui for my honeymoon in May.

Thanks.

Lonestar,

Do you have any more info on the Marriott version of this deal? I'm trying to arrange something in Kauai and Maui for my honeymoon in May.

Thanks.

Sorry, I'm not up-to-speed on Marriott's latest timeshare deals. But I know who is: the folks who read the Marriott board on Flyertalk.com. Just register there and post your question on the Marriott board. In a day or two, you'll certainly have the answer.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]