Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help 11/10-11/14 3* or 4*

cja
By cja,
in

Hi,

I am new to this site. I have used priceline several times before but I see that this site looks very advanced compared to my efforts. We are planning a trip to New York to see my daughter. We would like to stay in the city at a nice hotel preferably a 3 or 4 star. Specific location not that important. We will be there for 4 nights from November 10th to the 14th. I would appreciate any strategies you would suggest. Price range is hopefully under $200 a night.

Thanks

CJA

Thanks for the help. My wife would prefer not to split the bid because she doesn't want to have to switch hotels. We will be attending a play on the upper west side and my daughter lives in Washington Heights on the west side so easy access to the A train would be nice. We are totally open to location as long as transit is convienient. Price is the main factor.

Specifically which zone(s) are you willing to accept?

For some, MTE may be convenient even though to get to the A train you'd need to make a subway connection (or walk or take the bus to an A train subway station)... not sure if that is something you and your wife consider 'convenient'.

Please look at the priceline zones and let us know exactly which areas you are willing to bid, we will then be in a position to advise you accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't think your maximum bid is enough for a 4* so we'll go right into a 3* strategy, and you will soon be able to let us know if $200 is currently enough for these dates :)

At the 3* level you have one re-bid zone available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* MTE...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Select 3* MTS...

Select 3* Downtown...

Select 3* UES...

Select 3* MTE and MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Downtown and UES...

Select 3* MTE and MTS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and Downtown...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and UES...

Select 3* MTE and UES...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and MTS...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and Downtown...

Select 3* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UES...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS and Downtown...

Select 3* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS and Downtown and UES...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and MTS...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and Downtown and UES...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I went through all the bids and was rejected every time. I even increased the last rebid to $205. Do you have any other suggestions? Are the 2 and 2.5 star hotels on priceline ok? My wife would at least like a private (not shared) bath. How high do you think I would have to go for a 3 star hotel? How about any hotels in safe areas close to transit? Again my daughter lives in Washington Heights. Any specific basic hotels that get good ratings I should look at?

Thanks for your help. Even though I did not get any bids accepted I learned alot about priceline and was very impressed by your organized and complete approach.

CJA

How about staying in Jersey City NJ?

PATH train near the waterfront hotels in the area can have you into Manhattan in 10-15 minutes. The Hyatt is the nicest hotel in the area and affordable for the first 3 nites of your stay at $199/nite... but the last nite jumps to $379 :)

The Doubletree is priced at just $179/nite and is cancellable... that should work too and since this rate is cancellable you can continue to try Priceline as your arrival gets closer.

Your thoughts?

PS- please use the links in this thread if you decide to book either of the above. I'm also very familiar with this area if you have any questions.

Hi,

I booked a cancellable reservation at the Days Hotel on the upper west side. The reviews I saw seemed good and it is on the subway line with easy access to my daughter in Washington Heights and the rest of the city by subway. I got a rate (AARP) of 211.65 for Friday & Saturday and 169.15 for Sunday & Monday. The total with tax of $877.46. Is this hotel OK? We will probably be arriving at JFK on a red eye at 7AM on the 10th. We are not going to rent a car. Does this sound OK? Any further suggestions? Should I try priceline again?

Thanks,

CJA

Seems like the location is good for your needs.... but it is a Days Inn, so i would continue to try priceline in the hopes that inventory becomes available and you can upgrade your accomodations.

Now that you have an alternative, i'd ask your wife if she'd rather stay at a Days Inn for the complete stay or have to change hotels and have higher star rating accomodations.

Thanks Again,

I found some pretty bad reviews fo the hotel along with some good ones so I'm still looking. Any thoughts about the Marakech (UWS) or the Hotel Wolcott (UWS) vs. the Days Inn? or Broadway Plaza? What do you think my chances would be if I was willing to go to $250/night? Could you give me a strategy for that maximum bid? When should I try my new bids?

Thanks,

CJA

We will be bringing our 18 year old daughter so we need 2 beds. The rate at the Doubletree Hotel in Jersey City is $249 a night right now. Are there any other hotels in Jersey City you would choose? We would prefer to stay in Manhattan unless we could save substantially in Jersey City. Also we will be taking transit from the airport to our hotel so I'm not sure how that will factor in to the equation.

I sure appreciate your patience.

CJA

Are you aware that Priceline does not guarantee bedding? All that is guaranteed is a room that will accomodate double occupancy... many rooms in NYC only have one bed and some are so small they can't accomodate a rollaway.

Bidding for one room for more than double occupancy in NYC is risky... is this a risk you are wiling to accept? How will you handle it if you receive a room with only one bed?

It would be a problem but my daughter could stay with my other daughter if that occured. Is that common in 3*hotels in New York? Anyway how about other hotels in Jersey City that would be close to the PATH train that are reasonable? I looked up the route of the train and schedule and was impressed.

Thanks

CJA

There are four hotels with excellent PATH access in Jersey City and in a good location:

Candlewood Suites

Courtyard

Doubletree

Hyatt

If you want to easily check rates at all of them without visiting each website and re-entering your dates and location information each time user our BetterChecker hotel rate search.

We warn users about the risks of seeking one room for more than double occupancy in NYC for a reason :)

All the hotels in jersey city that I checked look have at least the ability to bring in a rollaway so I am strongly thinking about trying priceline in jersey city for 3* hotels. What would be your strategy and what do you think I should start bidding at. Even the 2* or 2.5 * might be ok since the candlewood looks like it is a 2*. I know we cannot be sure and I am willing to take some risk I also have booked as a backup the Ramada Limited in Jersey City for around $100.

Thanks Again,

CJA

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]