Priceline Hotel: Bidding strategy Santa Rosa 4*, 10/26

Vogon Poet
By Vogon Poet,
in

Started with Napa - Sonoma (Santa Rosa - Rohnert Park - Petaluma) @ $85 rejected

Added Napa - Sonoma (Sonoma), bid $88 - rejected

New window, tried Santa Rosa + Napa - Sonoma (Napa), bid $90 - rejected

Same window, now with Santa Rosa + Sonoma + Napa, bid $95 - rejected

Is this super high season? I saw previous successful bids in this range..

Hyatt.com is selling the Hyatt Vineyard Creek for $240 on 10/26 (whereas only $180 on 10/25) which may have something to do with your failed bids under $100. Also, it's interesting to note that Hotwire is selling the Vineyard Creek for a whopping $233 on 10/26.

My opinion is it's going to take a higher bid (maybe $100-125?) or sit back and wait awhile and monitor both rack rates as well as HOTWIRE.

Good luck.

As BEAV points out above, rates are date specific, so somebody else's bid may or may not be relevant to your own stay if their win is for different dates than your own.

You could book the Hyatt thru EasyClickTravel for $170/nite (cancellable up until 3 days before your check-in date)

What is your maximum bid?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I hadn't really set an absolute top, but was hoping to be able to beat the rack rate by at least 50%.

What I had seen was historically in the same time of year that people had been able to come in at rates in the range I was shooting for here. Looks like it's time to bump the bids up a bit and retry.

Thanks!

:)

I have been trying for the last few days as well and didn't get any bid accepted till $107 (been trying for all Saturdays in September).

However, message last time was different...it said that Priceline found a hotel for $152 for a 4* in Santa Rosa - so that should be the Vineyard.

That is kinda high for me....but I guess that is where the rate is at now.

Just an observation here ....

The Hyatt Vintage Creek was bought by Hyatt in August 2004. I've followed their Priceline rates for the past two years and in both 2004 and 2005 noticed a pattern that the lower, more "off season" rates don't kick in until November 1. Whether that will hold true for 2006 is yet to be seen, however it may explain the problem getting a dirt cheap "deal" on this property pre-Nov 1.

Reserved @ $170 via EasyClickTravel (thanks, thereuare!) to be sure I have something.

Started again (after 72 hour wait).

Sonoma (Santa Rosa - Rohnert Park - Petaluma) @ $110, counter-offer $219

new window, added Fairfield, bid $120, counter-offer $219

new window, Santa Rosa + Napa, bid $130, counter-offer $219... I see a pattern here.

new window, Santa Rosa + Sonoma, bid $140, counter offer of (...wait for it...) $219.

new window, Santa Rosa + Fairfield + Napa, bid $150. Guess what? $219 counter.

new window, Santa Rosa + Fairfield + Sonoma, bid $160. $219 counter.

Since I already have to $170 reservation, I'll stop for now and maybe try again later.

Started again (after 72 hour wait).

I think you were wise to reserve a cancellable backup for now while you continue to try Priceline. Although I don't think it's necessary to rebid every 24 hours this far out, Priceline has lowered their former 72 hour wait period down to just 24 hours. That's a great new feature for people who's dates of stay are much closer than yours currently is. Continued good luck with this.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]