Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-River North) InterContinental

worldtraveler
By worldtraveler,
in

<<Is there a reason you want/need a Starwood property? Since you would not be able to earn miles anyway. >>

True. If you really do want/need a SW property, Priceline is probably not the best way to reserve. A little surprised that nothing came back though, as your dates are one of seemingly only a few in September and October that aren't busy/very expensive in Chicago.

If you are willing to include Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park, I would start over at $90.

I like Starwood properties because I'm a Starwood Preferred Guest. I know I won't get points for the stay, but I was hoping my chances for an upgrade were good given my SPG status and that it's my birthday that weekend. :)

I've been lucky getting Starwood properties in the past; Westin Palace Madrid and Westin Bangkok.

That said, I'd probably be happy with whichever 4 star I got. Omni would be good too since I'm a member of their program as well.

I'm going to keep trying since I have a little time. I may also add in the Loop-thanks for the advice of starting lower for the Loop.

As for the Starwood properties in the city, I'd say the Westin River North (formerly a Hotel Nikko) is the nicest of the bunch, if you do decide to book conventionally (if you do book there conventionally, try to get a river view room on a high floor - stellar view.) On the other end, I was rather disappointed in the Sheraton Towers and I only paid $65.

Both of the main downtown zones in Chicago on PL have a couple of so-so 4* properties, but quite a few nice ones.

Bid yesterday, up to $140-failed.

Bid today, up to $150, not expecting to win, and won the Intercontinental Chicago for $150 per night.

The lowest rate I can find online for this hotel is $229 so I guess the price is ok (not as good as I'd hoped) , but I really don't know anything about the hotel. After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I'm not too happy. It certainly would not have been my first choice. However, everything else in town for my dates seems outragously priced.

Thank you for reporting your win.

I think everyone's entitled to their opinion when it comes to hotel reviews, but this is one instance where I wouldn't pay too much attention to the reviews. The Intercontinental offers a great location right on Michigan Ave. and a lot of history. The pool and pool area are absolutely stunning - it's one of the first higher-floor pools and an element in place since the building was the Medinah Athletic Club (which opened in 1929.) The ballrooms are beautiful and the lobby is quite lovely. I'd recommend taking a look at the history page on the hotel website - it's pretty interesting. Personally, I'd be happy if I got it as a win, as I'd definitely prefer it over at least 3-4 of the other 4* River North/NMA properties and think it's definitely not the worst of the 4* River North/NMA possibilities.

Tip: Walgreens is across the street and a little ways South. That's your best bet for snacks and toiletries cheaper than the hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]