Anybody tried to bid during holidays?

Sam
By Sam,
in

Since the entire process is automated, I don't think that the outcome would be any different than bidding on any other given day. The thing about computers is they don't require any days off.

My guess would be that pricing wouldn't be updated (on the hotel's end) much on holidays, but i would suspect that a bid tat would be accepted on 12/23 would also be accepted on 12/25.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I did place a bid for a stay from 12/28 - 1/1... it was a lowball offer because I knew I had plenty of time... and I was rejected. In researching the area I found a really good rate on the hotel's own website, and grabbed it!

I think it depends on your destination. If you want to go to a 'tourist attraction' sort of place, it would probably be difficult. Where we are going caters largely to business travellers, hence the attractive 'holiday special' rate.

JB

Since the entire process is automated, I don't think that the outcome would be any different than bidding on any other given day.  The thing about computers is they don't require any days off.

My guess would be that pricing wouldn't be updated (on the hotel's end) much on holidays, but i would suspect that a bid tat would be accepted on 12/23 would also be accepted on 12/25.

I think you misunderstood me. Of course computers do not need a day off (except in the case that they need to be rebooted or upgraded). The thing is that a lot of hotels, at least here in Europe in big cities and touristy places, have all kind of arrangements for 3 or 4 days, where the prices triple or sometimes even worse.

So I think that they have 0 stock for this period (for priceline) but I might be wrong of course. And it is kind of curiosity as well.

Gotcha... your question more more along the lines of "is there any inventory on holidays" as opposed to "can you get a bid accepted during a holiday (for a check-in date other than the holiday)"

I would think this is area dependent.

Some area are very busy during the holiday days, but i know an area like NYC which is VERY busy during pre-holiday is actually less busy than normal on Xmas Eve and Xmas day (perhaps due to smaller apartments residents tend to go visit relatives rather than have relatives come visit them). Las Vegas is another area that i can think of that is slow all of December leading up to Xmas and then gets busy immediately thereafter.

So, just like any other date (holiday or not), it boils down to supply vs. demand.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]