Priceline Hotel: 3* Minneapolis-St Paul (University-Metrodome) Four Points

kstrom
By kstrom,
in

Hi all -

Sorry for the non-hotel post, but we will be in Minneapolis for 2 days in late August. We're looking for things to do in Minneapolis that

1) would appeal to adults and children (girls ages 7 and 9)

2) are 'prototypically Minnesota-esque (i.e., something we can do/see that we couldn't do/see in other cities

3) is not the Mall of America (I can't stand malls, especially with kids in tow)

Everyone we have asked has suggested only the Mall of America. The Twin Cities has to have more to offer than that!

Thanks,

KStrom

PS Haven't bid yet for hotels, but I promise to post once I do bid

One of the great Minnesota traditions is the State Fair, which runs from August 24 through Labor Day. It is the second largest state fair in attendance (after Texas), and the largest in acreage. There are 6 different venues that offer free entertainment throughout the day and evening. Free entertainment this year includes Joan Osborne, Riders in the Sky, and others; plus magicians, jugglers, comedians, clowns and other entertainers targeted at the kids. The complete list is at http://www.mnstatefair.org/pages/free_stage.html

There are countless demonstrations and activities for the kids, but the best is the FFA Kids' Barn, where kids can witness the live birth of ducklings, sheep, pigs, and calves. The barn is staffed by FFA volunteers and veterinarians from the University of Minnesota, which is adjacent to the Fairgrounds. This venue is so popular that it was expanded greatly in size this year. In another building on the Fairgrounds they operate an animal surgical theater where you can watch actual operations through a glass wall and closed circuit cameras.

There are numerous competition barns where kids show their prized rabbits, poultry, sheep, cattle, and horses. There is a huge 4H building where kids display the projects they have submitted for competition, which might be hand-made clothes, model rockets, or a bug collection. The Coloseum features both Western and English style horse shows, as well as Championship Rodeo. Another popular item with the kids is the Lumberjack Competition, which involves log-rolling, axe throwing, and pole climbing.

The Fairgrounds is in the heart of the Twin Cities. The most convenient hotel for the Fair is the Sheraton Four Points (University-Metrodome area) which is a few miles from the Fairgrounds. It is rated 3 stars and usually goes for $37-$40 on Priceline. Last year we stayed there during the Fair for $37. It has an indoor pool. On Saturdays and Sundays you can catch a free bus right across the street at a Park & Ride lot that takes you to and from the Fair.

My recommendations for first-time visitors: The Budweiser Clydedales are back this year after a long absense, and can be seen in the daily parade at 2 p.m. The parade also has a battle of the bands featuring several high school marching bands. You might be able to see the Clydesdales up close in the staging area before the parade begins, which is located south of the Empire Commons building.

While at the Empire Commons (aka the Dairy building) check out the butter sculptures - each day a different Dairy Princess has her head sculpted into a 70 pound block of butter while sitting on a revolving turntable inside a refrigerated glass display case. Girls especially seem to enjoy watching this. As you might expect, the best malts and sundaes at the Fair are served in this building.

As mentioned earlier, the Miracle of Birth Center (formerly FFA Barn) and the Lumberjack Show in the North Woods area are great for adults and kids. In the Poultry & Sheep building you will see more poultry and rabbits than you've ever imagined in one place. In the 4H building kids can see all kinds of projects done by other kids. And a new exhibit this year is Sealife Encounters in Baldwin Park which features touch & feel live sting rays.

One thing many people overlook is the Minnesota Fair History Center, which is housed in a couple of small buildings and train cars in Heritage Square. You can walk through it in 20 - 30 minutes and see a lot of historical photographs and items from decades past, like the original electric chair used by Voltra the Electric Girl.

Speaking of nostalgia, the Fair is bringing back a good old fashioned sideshow complete with carnival barkers, which seems to have fallen out of fashion in recent years. The World of Wonders Sideshow is in the Midway area, and features sword swallowers, the Rubber Girl, the Headless Marvel, and an all new Voltra the Electric Girl. If you missed all of this when you were a kid, now's your chance to catch up!

At 8 p.m. at the International Bazaar Stage they have a great magician named Tim Gabrielson. On the nights when he isn't there they have Deann the Hypno-Chick. I'm personally not that crazy about about stage hypnotists, but she packs in the crowds every year, and kids really seem to enjoy watching her make adults look like idiots.

You can download the schedule for each day you will be at the Fair:

http://www.mnstatefair.org/pages/daily_schedules.html

At the advice of timbuktu, I bid for a 3* in the University-Metrodome area of Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Here's the bid history

8/14/06:

Bid $40 for a 3* in Minneapolis-University/Metrodome. Rejected

Added Burnsville (has no 3*), bid $42. Rejected

Added Fiedley (spelling?), bid $44. Rejected

Added Maplewood (has no 3*), bid $46. Rejected

8/15/06

Bid $48 for 3* in University/Metrodome. Rejected

Was invited to up my bid $14 to get a hotel. Declined.

Added Burnsville, bid $50. Bid accepted.

Minnesota State Farm here we come! (Can't wait to see the butter sculpture & live birth barn, but I think we will pass on the side show spectacle. )

Thanks!

- Kstrom

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]