Priceline Hotel: Napa Valley Bidding Help

faithful96
By faithful96,
in

Hello!

Based on what I've seen here and that other board :) ... I started bidding at the oh so low rate of $60 for a 3* in Napa Valley. Sure I was dreaming there a bit, but I figured why not start at a rate others have gotten in August. Well now after days of bidding, I am up to $110 for a 3*. No dice. Not even a measly counter offer.

The dates are September 4 to September 9. I have also bid September 4 to September 8.

Past history has returned the Marriott Napa and the Embassy Suites Napa. A look to the rack rates for those nights shows $269 and $264, respectively.

We are currently booked into a set of expensive bed and breakfasts, but are trying to reduce costs. Any suggestions as to strategy here? What should I raise my bid to?

Thank you!

Since your stay encompasses both midweek and weekend nights, it's possible Fri/Sat the 8-9th are keeping you from being successful with a lower priced bid for your entire stay.

I would try bidding $60 for Sept 4-7. If successful, use Priceline's add-a-night feature for the nights of the 8th & 9th. Priceline will respond with the amount they want for the 8th and the 9th and you can decide whether or not to take it. Although you might pay a premium for the nights of the 8th and 9th, it still might be lower in the long run than staying 5-6 nights in a more expensive B&B.

Good luck!

Although not identified here, HOTWIRE's vacation package displays the Napa Marriott as a 3.5 star with amenities of Fitness, Restaurant, Pool, Spa & Laundry.

When you go to their hotel-only product, a hotel with identical star level and amenities as above displays for night nights of Sept 4-7 (Monday-Thursday). However, when you include the 8th or 9th in your search, the hotel doesn't come up. So I'm beginning to think either something is going on in the area that weekend or Hotwire (and possibly Priceline) haven't been given access to inventory yet.

This could be part of your problem ....

http://www.napavalley.com/special_interest...events/sep.html

September 9 -- Wine and Crafts Faire

Fair, Wine Education: The Napa Wine & Crafts Faire is extremely unique in the world of craft shows. It is the largest one-day outdoor event in Napa, attracting up to 25,000 every year. Attendees can enjoy wine and 200 crafters located on First Street in Downtown Napa.

Thank you both!

Thereuare-

I am fine splitting the bid and just bid September 4-7. My $60 Napa bid returned me a $123 counteroffer. I think my maximum bid is in the $150 range. The B&B rates are between $250-300 a night.

BEAV-

Thank you for that strategy, as I said above, the $60 Napa bid returned me a $123 counteroffer. Right now we have September 4, 5, 6 at one B&B and 7 and 8 at another, checking out the 9th. Somehow I missed that festival while doing my research, so now I'm just glad we have a place to sleep Friday night.

I had noticed that Expedia does not have Embassy Suite inventory (yet) for that weekend. Whereas the rooms are available via the Embassy Suite site. I think you are right that inventory has not yet been released to Priceline.

So now the question is, how high should my next bid be? Hotwire has the Marriott for these dates at $142.

My $60 Napa bid returned me a $123 counteroffer. I think my maximum bid is in the $150 range
I'm confused, as you know from the above that $123 is just about a 'sure thing' (at this time)... so why would your maximum bid be $150?

Expedia is not a good source to use for prices or hotel occupancy levels. This stay is less than a month away, if Expedia was going to have inventory, i think they'd have it by now.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd do one of two things:

1. Accept the $123 counteroffer for Sept 4-7, then try Priceline's add-a-night feature for the nights of the 8th and/or 9th. Priceline will either reply back with their price for Sept 8 & 9 or tell you they have no inventory at all. 2. Try bidding 4* Napa up to your bid limit of $150.

Continued good luck with this!

Since you have some time i'd try to shave a few dollars off of the $123 figure, then if/when successful, try the add a nite feature (although i might try the add a nite feature a few days later if prices for the remaining nites direct from the hotel's website remain high).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have run across two different types of counteroffers w/Priceline. Which of the two did you receive?

1. "We searched hundreds of options to find your hotel room, however we were not able to find a hotel that would accept your price for $60 per room, per night. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number XXX-XXX-XXX-XX. During our search we found a hotel room available for $123 per room, per night. If you are willing to accept this new price, you can get your hotel room right now.

or

2. We searched hundreds of options to find your hotel room, however we were not able to find a hotel that would accept your price for $60 per room, per night. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number XXX-XXX-XXX-XX. If you are willing to raise your price by $63, you can try the same request again right now.

If you received counteroffer #1, it's been my experience that Priceline won't accept anything other than $123. On the other hand, if you received counteroffer #2, then Priceline will generally accept less than their counteroffer.

Once again, continued good luck!

Thank you both!

Yesterday (prior to reading your latest response) I bid $75 after the counteroffer and got the same counteroffer. Today I bid $85 and $95, both with the same counteroffer.

This is what I got all times:

We searched hundreds of options to find your hotel room, however we were not able to find a hotel that would accept your price for $75 per room, per night. Your credit card has not been charged. During our search we found a hotel room available for $123 per room, per night. If you are willing to accept this new price, you can get your hotel room right now.

Looks like right now $123 is the magic number.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]