Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (MTS) Park South

miss_scouty
By miss_scouty,
in

Hi there,

I've spent hours reading through the other posts and am amazed at just how helpful this board is! I've never used Priceline but am hoping to find a good deal on a hotel for my upcoming honeymoon.

We will be spending the nights of October 11, 12 and 13 in NYC. We'd like to be smackdab in the middle of Manhattan - no preference so long as we're central to all touristy activities. In a perfect world we'd be in a 4* but will also take a 3*. We'd love to stay under $180 if possible, though I see fall is a peak season.

Any recommendations?! Thanks so much!

I went to savingsbarn.com and clicked on Priceline Hotels and tried to find my ideal 4* hotel in Manhattan for the dates referenced above for under $200 and my bids were not accepted. I used a format you created for another poster. Since my bids were not accepted at my ideal rate, here is what I am contemplating:

1. Repeating process increasing bids to $250.

2. Repeating process using a 3* hotel.

3. Splitting stay - I am TERRIFIED to do this...I wouldn't necessarily mind switching hotels but would really rather not, and don't want to get stuck paying an absurd rate for the third night.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

As a side note, I also needed a hotel in Manhattan for October 2 and was bidding on a 3* and got a 4* (Hilton NY) for $130. I started bidding at $110 so I was very happy with that! :)

Why be terrified of changing hotels? I think i'd sooner be concerned about a hotel that was lower in quality than what i wanted.

You could book the Envoy Club thru Quickbook for $229/nite. I don't know too much about it but the reviews are mixed.

If you don't mind changing hotels, you could book the above for just one nite, and then change to a 1BR suite at the Beekman Tower which is available for $247/nite and the reviews are much better.

The Quickbook hotel is a 'pay when you stay rate' so it is cancellable (i forget how much before check-in date but it's on their website) and the other is thru EasyClickTravel so it's cancellable up until 3 days before your check-in. You could reserve each and then cancel if you're still unsuccessful thru the opaque providers or other sources. Rates are high for these dates, much higher than simply "fall is peak season", so i would at least find something that you could "live with" and is cancellable and use it as a back-up.

Does either of the above work for you?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your reply.

Well it's not so much that I'm terrified of changing hotels, I'm just apprehensive about splitting as I'm worried I'll either get stuck with nowhere to go the third night or like you said, in a crappy hotel, or get 2 nights at a great hotel for a reasonable price, and have to pay an absurd price to stay at the same hotel for a third night. Also, I noticed some hotels have a lower rate for Friday night whereas others are more expensive on Friday, so which way would I want to split and will it really be beneficial?!

I also checked out Hotwire and there is a 3.5* star available (Shoreham?) for $258 per night...not sure if I'll get a room on Priceline for less than that so as of now that is my backup plan.

Any idea why the rates are so high for this time of year? At least I got 1 cheap night.

well as I mentioned, I see splitting as the last option, I would prefer to either go to a 3* or up to $250 for a 4*...do you think that will not work?

IF I were to split, I have hotel I could book for October 13, provided I could get one for Oct 11 and 12. The backup hotel is $271 per night for a 3.5*, but the same hotel is over $400 for the 11th and 12th. If splitting won't help me, I will book the Hotwire hotel. I would consider the Beekman as a backup for the 11th and 12th.

I would prefer to either go to a 3* or up to $250 for a 4*...do you think that will not work?

We won't know until you try :)

My guess is that you will be successful for a 3* but not for a 4*. Did you want to try for a 4* up to your maximum and then try for a 3*... or do you want the least expensive 3* or 4* possible?

Let us know which you'd like to try and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

PS- also let us know your highest bid at the 3* and 4* level(s) and when you last made that bid

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That's what I was thinking too. Last night I tried for a 4*, my highest bid was $212 (planned for a top bid of $200 but was feeling desperate!) and I was unsuccesful, I then tried (once) for a 3* at $165 and was also unsuccessful. For a 4* we're now willing to go up to $260, for a 3* $225, failing both we'll book the 3.5* on Hotwire which appears to be a decent deal. We would prefer a 4*...it IS our honeymoon! :)

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $200, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $230, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTS...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $230, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTS...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $245, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $245, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTS and MTW...

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $255, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $260, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $255, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $260.

=====================================================================

At 3* only one re-bid zone.

Select 3* MTE...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Select 3* MTS...

Select 3* MTE and MTW...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and MTS...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTS...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 3* MTE and MTS and MTW...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTS and UM/CPS...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS and MTE...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS and MTS...

Bid $215, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $220, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW adn UM/CPS and MTS and MTE

Bid $225.

If the above fails please use our HOTWIRE link to purchase that 3.5* property.

Any questions feel free to ask. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

SUCCESS!!!

No luck with a 4* but on my final attempt with a 3* (before switching to Hotwire) I won the Park South for $230 per night. Looks like a cute little hotel, very "Manhattan"!

As a sidenote, I was searching Hotwire preparing to book at the same time as my final Priceline search and turns out the 3.5* I thought was the Shoreham was no longer available on Hotwire, next best deal was a 3* for $260 so I still saved $100. YAY PRICELINE!!!

Thanks for all your help thereuare! I'll definitely be recommending this website...in fact I already have!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]