Priceline Hotel: Driving up from VA

cld1225
By cld1225,
in

We will be driving up from VA for the sole purpose of going to NYC. This would be a weekend (Fri-Sun) trip on either the 12th or the 19th. We've stayed in New Brunswick-on business-and taken the train in but thought that it would be better to stay closer. Or, maybe we should just try to stay in NYC and avoid the hassle of the train? I dont have any idea what I might expect to pay, either in NJ or NY and it's not an issue. I just love a good deal!!! :) I'm looking for at least a 3*.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In looking at your dates, Dec 19th-21st is much better as rates for Dec 12th-14th are thru the roof. The 19-21 is still somewhat high due to seasonal factors, but at least more reasonable.

You essentially have 3 options:

1) Stay in NYC. I haven't looked at rates too intensely but i would figure somewhere $120-160 for a 4*, maybe $100-$120 for a 3* (this are guesses at this point so don't hold me to it, but provided so you can make an educated decision where you'd like to stay given the approximate rates).

2) Stay in Jersey City NJ. There is a decent chance you can get the Hyatt which is a new hotel (one year old) right on the river that has gotten great reviews from users. Only problem is parking is about $15/day and one user here had his car stolen after parking on the street. However, this hotel can often be had for $35 which is a steal for this property. Transportation options into NYC are plentiful.

3) Stay in the Meadowlands area. Parking here would be free and the 3* hotels can generally be had in the low $40's. Your mode of transportation into NYC would be by bus and schedules are fairly frequent, but may stop at the very early hours of the morning (maybe last bus back 'home' would be 2am).

If cost is really no object, then it's definately better staying in NYC for convenience. If you're looking for the best value, i would sooner try for the Hyatt in Jersey City with a $35 bid... if you get it great, if not, then pursue your other options (but at $35 it's tough to beat). The Meadowlands area is do-able, but would be my 3rd choice in this scenario (well, i'd at least try some low $100 bidding for NYC first).

Another option to think about is stopping somewhere along your route and leaving your car at a Park N Ride and taking the train the remainder of the trip. This would be an option in order to save money on parking.

Let us know which of the above is most appealing to you and i'll provide a further strategy if you desire.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for those suggestions.

I'm thinking that the Jersey City option might work out best-I forgot to mention that we need three rooms-but will only have one vehicle to park. Will getting three rooms be a problem? If so, we could get by with two but would prefer three.

You mentioned transportation options. Any suggestions on that?

When I place my bid, will it let me know if rooms are available for both nights? I dont want to be booked in one place for one night and have to move.

Your information and suggestions are invaluable. Thank you again.

Shouldn't be too much of a difference between bidding for 1 room vs. 3 rooms.

If you bid for both nites together, Priceline will search for both nites at the same hotel, if only one nite is available, your bid will be rejected (they'll never split your bid between 2 different hotels). When you place your bid you should select the number of rooms you need from the drop down menu. Your bid is per room, per nite so even though you need 3 rooms you should enter the nitely rate you're looking to pay.

HOWEVER, THIS USER is in a similar situation as yourself and was just rejected in Jersey City at $35. Web rates at the Hyatt website are only $109/nite so i think there is a chance that inventory opens up in a few days.

I talked about transportation in that thread so please take a look there, but feel free to ask any questions as a reply in this thread.

You can try Jersey City yourself and if rejected then try for NYC (or the other way around if you desire). Let me know what you want to do and we'll be happy to add a suggested bidding strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We just had a post at the board where a user received the Hyatt in Jersey City for the nite of the 20th:

Jersey City Hyatt Post

If you're getting concerned about this date i would:

1) Bid again ($35) in this zone, if rejected

2) Bid for only the 19th, if rejected or accepted then bid for only the 20th

3) If either of the above are dates are accepted purchase the remaining date thru Hotwire

Downsides:

1) This will average out to about $60/nite plus fees and taxes ($95 for Hotwire purchase + $35 for Priceline purchase) which is more than $35/nite IF both nites eventually become available thru Priceline... however, given the rates we're seeing for your dates $60 to be "done and confirmed" seems like a pretty good compromise (IMO)

2) We could be wrong that the Hotwire hotel is indeed the Hyatt, although i feel pretty confident in that guess.

Since you're bidding for 3 rooms, make sure that what is believed to be the Hyatt comes up for your date(s) (individually as well as collectively) on Hotwire as i only checked it for one room each nite. As well, make sure you outline the 'risks' with the others in your party just in case something goes awry... most notably you get a different hotel for each nite.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]