HOTWIRE

BEAV
By BEAV,
in

Forgive me if this has been posted already (I did a search, but found nothing).

A few days ago while attempting to differentiate between two hotels displaying identical star level and amenities offered, I stumbled across what I believe to be an asset in this situation. After selecting the property, the next page displayed both the Hotwire purchase price along with the retail price. No doubt a sales tool to give you an idea what you're saving by buying from Hotwire vs buying retail. After seeing the retail price displayed, I went to the website of the two different hotels, and lo and behold the retail price of one of them matched Hotwire's retail price to the dollar. Thinking this could very well be coincidental, I embarked on a search of a variety of hotels in a variety of different cities. So far, I've searched about 20 different hotels, and in each case, the price Hotwire displays as the retail price has matched that found on the hotel's own website.

Although in the first example I was trying to differentiate between two hotels displaying identical amenities and star level ratings, this method can be put to the test when trying to identify any property on Hotwire.

No doubt there are exceptions to the rule, however I believe this is yet another handy tool for identifying hotels on Hotwire.

Very interesting, because in my search I was 20 for 20!

By that I mean I checked the web rates of hotels we actually know the identies of and in each case they matched the retail price Hotwire was displaying.

Hotwire's stance is that the price shown is for that star quality and not that specific hotel.

Not surprising....after all, they don't want to give away all the secrets that easily!

Thanks for the link. I wouldn't have found it otherwise!

In my research on this subject (I've done more since my original post) I have found the system to work about 80% of the time. I've been comparing it with Hotwire properties we already know the identity of, hoping at some time in my travels it will come in handy to unmask one we don't know, but are suspect of. I don't use Expedia or any other 3rd party site in my research, but rather the hotel's own website.

As moderator of this site, I don't blame you for your position and warning. The last thing you need is a newbie to the opaque travel world trying it out and falling flat on their face! To the contrary, I'm willing to roll the dice here and there and will be the first to admit if it ever comes back to bite me. Stay tuned!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]