Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Downtown-Harbor Island) Manchester Grand Hyatt

Newbie2006
By Newbie2006,
in

Hi,

Please help me come up with a bidding strategy for the weekend of 7/29 to 7/30 for a 4* hotel in SD. I saw many people come up with the success with Omni hotel and I would really like to stay there, if possible. I am willing to pay up to 100 usd/night for the 4* hotel. Please give me some ideas/suggestions, thanks !

Rates are high for this date, with the Omni being over $300/nite, so i don't think that property is a high probability bet.

Fortunately you have LOTS of re-bid zones (11) available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100.

Any question feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for helping.

I saw on the website where Omni charges $279 on that night (where for the same night they usually charges for 239). So do you guys have any idea which other 4* hotels will poss. show up with that price/area/date? (I know it may not be exact, but just would like to have an idea, thank you)!

Tried to bid 4*. Added all the zones, no luck til 200-220$usd/night! (CRAZY!) I think I will try my luck again for 3* tomorow. Is it possible for me to get a room for 3* in downtown SD area for around 100USD do u guys think? or it might increase my chance of getting a room if i want to book a 2 nights stay (28 to 30th) since some hotels requires 2+ nights stay?

After previous unsuccessful bids with SD hotels. My friends & I decided to try other dates instead for SD. (Was wishing for Omni hotel but oh wells), Here is how my bid works.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $70, rejected

Bid $75, rejected

Bid $80, rejected

Bid $85, rejected

Bid $90, rejected

Bid $95, rejected

Bid $100, rejected

Bid $105 = Accepted!

4* San Diego (Downtown-Harbor Island) Manchester Grand Hyatt

Date: 7/8/06 - 7/9/06

Price: 105 + 20 tax& surcharge = 125

Amenties include:

Remote Control TV with Premium Channels

Telephone with Voicemail

Radio Alarm Clock

Iron and Ironing Board

Hairdryer

Business Services

24 Hour Front Desk

Restaurant

Room Service

Bellman

Concierge

Fitness Center Access

Booked Via SB link, always :)

1. Can you guys help me out with the parking? where will be a good place to park around the area? How much will the hotel parking to be?

2. I see mixed review on the tripadvisor (some are horrible, actually). Can someone give me an idea what type of room I should ask for to get the best location/view of the hotel (or like which tower, etc)?

3. Has anyone tried the sunday brunch in the hotel? is it good? I am willing to try diff. buffet brunch as long as they are good n have variety of seafood (raw oysters+++).

4. One of my other friend booked Omni Hotel on Expedia previously for 250/night for the same wkend w/ free upgrade to the oceanview room. She's there for the bar exam so that might be the reason why the hotel is low on inventory/high in price for that weekend. I'll try harder for Omni next time!

Thanks so much for all of ur help!

Parking: Most meters and some white and yellow loading zones will be availible to park in from 6pm Saturday and all day Sunday. Parking on the street on Saturday night will be a challenge; it's busy in the gaslamp on the weekends. I don't know exactly how much the hotel parking will be, the Omni is ~$25 / night. You will find free parking if you drive far enough, it just depends on much you value free (or cheap) parking. There are lots surrounding the hotel that will be cheaper than the hotel itself, again, the inconvenience versus the cost is personal choice.

Tripadvisor reviews that complain about $300 / night hotel rooms anywhere are almost always trumped up. The Manchester is once of the nicest hotels in SD. You won't have any problems. If given the opportunity, I always try to request a king with a view. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't. If I don't, I consider the fact that I'm paying 1/3rd of rack rate, and I'm happy.

Never tried the brunch.

The Omni has been coming up less and less on PL. Also, it's hard to get during baseball season, or when there is a convention in town -- and there is ALWAYS a convention in town.

If your friend isn't a member of Omni's frequent stay program, tell her to sign up. Some nice perks, including free coupons after your first stay, and free breakfast on the first stay.

I guess I will just try to park in the hotel parking since they do offer the in & out for the guests (I hope!).

I am just worried since the recent tripadvsior review complaining about how firm their bed is and they still have those floral cover (guess Hyatt haven't upgraded their bed like hilton n other hotels yet). Also people mentioned their stuff were stolen from the room and house keeping didn't do a good job cleaning the room so I was like "wow!" Thats why I want to make sure :)

In regards to the room of the hotel, should I give them the call to ask the type of room that I wanted in advance? (King bed, high floor, away from elevator w/view)? Will they granted my wish? Usually at the other hotels that I stayed at granted my wish (hilton is really good at that) - see my preview stay of SF hilton about it. I just need to know the best strategy for me to get to the right room. anyway, thank for your advice!

There are pictures of the rooms availible on the Manchester Website. Elsewhere on the website is a 360 virtual tour. Both show a floral bedspread. For some folks, that's a dealbreaker. Personally, it doesn't bother me. You'll just have to decide for yourself.

On dishonest maids:

At every hotel in the world, two things happen on a regular basis:

1) An occasional dishonest maid swipes something of nominal value out of a room,

and

2) An occasional forgetful occupant drops something of nominal value in the dresser, closet, bathroom cabinet, or under the bed, and blames it on a dishonest maid.

I've stayed hundreds of nights in hotels, and have never had anything disappear. Not so much as pocket change or a wristwatch. I also make it a point to take my wallet with me, and put anything valuable out of sight. I don't leave cash in the room unattended. I put my laptop in it's bag, in my suitcase. I think people that are asking to get robbed sometimes get what they're asking for. This stands true in hotel rooms and everywhere else.

The Manchester Grand Hyatt (probably) doesn't have any more (or less) of a problem with problems #1 and 2 than any other hotel in the world.

Housekeeping (at almost every hotel) will visit the room every day, make the beds, give you clean towels, and empty the trash. They vaccum when the room needs it. If you didn't get one of those things (or if they weren't done to your satisfaction), dial "0", and someone will come back and do it again. You may have a better response at nicer hotels (like the Manchester Grand) than 1* hotels.

Newbie, some people were born into this world to complain. For whatever reason, these same people are drawn to travel websites like tripadvisor. Cruises are especially bad about complainers. On a cruise, you get on a boat with every amenity known to man, food coming out of a dozen restaurants in unlimited quantity, 24 hours a day, free room service, room stewards that make up your room TWICE a day, pools, unlimited towels, clean robes, blankets, entertainment, etcetera... and you get people who come back after a 10 day vacation just to post a 5 page complaint on a public bulletin board, because the room service took 9 minutes to get there, and it used to only take 5.

(Sorry if this is a rant... I've been reading a lot of trip reviews lately!)

What I'm getting at here, is that you have no need to worry about the service at a 4* hotel. Any 4* hotel.

If you're unhappy about something, call the front desk, they'll fix it in a jiffy. If they don't fix it, just take a deep breath and remember you're on vacation, and you're having a good time. YOU already seem to me like the kind of person who grasps that concept. The people who complain endlessly on certain travel websites don't.

And to your 2nd question -- a less verbose answer -- calling ahead can't hurt. If I call, I try to do it the day before, mid-day, before they have prepared the next day's room list, and while they're not busy with check-in and check-out. I also try and be especially charming, and say how excited I am to be going to San Diego (or whereever), and how I'd love to be able to get a great view of the city with a king bed. Then when I check in, I ask again. I try to check in dressed nice, I feel it increases my chances of getting an upgrade.

Best of luck!

I have stayed at the Manchester Grand many times and never had anything stolen from my room. Try to get a room away from the front of the hotel as the trollys will keep you up all night. The self parking is $18 with in/out. Its a pain to find street parking in DT.

• 1 month later...

I know the Manchesters, and know that their name is on nothing but THE BEST! Parking is expensive, but there are free in/out. Parking is expensive and not too abundant in SD period. Ask to stay in the new tower if you want it all new. Buffet is GREAT. Bar downstairs is very nice. The bar at the top of the "old tower" is the best view in all of San Diego. Perfect location. YOu just cannot go wrong at this place.

I agree. After the stay at the Grand Hyatt (at the new tower, high floor, away from elevator) = all granted except the fact that due to the fact there's an convention...they denyed us for the late checkout, but its OK. It was a nice gateaway, the only complain that I have for this hotel is the fact that the bed is not the new Grand Hyatt bed, it was kinda hard to sleep at night.

I went to eat at buffet there on Sunday morning (Sunday brunch). It was great! I just came back from Vegas this past wkend and I ate at Wynns and Bellagios and Rio..I have to say that Hyatt they have very good quality seafood (esp raw oysters, YUM). Their desserts are excellent as well. I would say it is one of the best buffet place in the area (I personally don't think Hotel Del Mar's brunch is ALL that from what I saw).

I heard their Friday night seafood dinner buffet got a great selection of seafood so if for you seafood lovers, try it out.

Don't miss out the huge swimming pool and the tennis courts on site, they are NICE!.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]