Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Hilton New York

goingtonyc1sttime
By goingtonyc1sttime,
in

The lobby at the Hilton New York is bigger than some small-town motels.

There are plenty of seating areas, shops, and hallways where your family can hang out or browse while you check in.

You should enjoy the Hilton. It is in a great location in midtown and is a nice property. I signed up for the free Hilton Honors card and if you ask for a room upgrade they will give it to you if they have one.

The only time I ever saw security actually checking doors was during the GOP National Convention in 2004.

Unlike hotels in Europe and Asia, there are rarely ever people checking the doors or elevators in US hotels.

That is true for the Hilton New York.

I have been there a few times and except for the extraordinary security during the 2004 convention I have never seen anyone checking the doors.

On New Year's Eve 2005 they were checking room keys in the hotels in Times Square but I doubt they did that as far away as the Hilton. In any case, they just made sure you were staying at the hotel and didn't quibble about who was in which room.

There is of course security around but they are unobtrusive and they don't check every person as they walk in the door or the elevator.

Regarding the elevators' location: they are on the northwest side of the lobby.

Taxis will probably drop you off at the main (east) entrance on 6th Ave and you would have to walk through the huge lobby to get to the elevators.

Depending on the time of day, there is also an entrance on W 54th that bypasses the lobby. This entrance may close after 11 PM.

And there is an entrance from the valet driveway/alley on the west end of the hotel between W 53rd and W 54th. This would also take you to the elevators without using the main lobby.

I've done what you want to do and wouldn't worry about it. The advantage (some think it is a disadvantage, I don't) of the Hilton NY is it is so big that you can slide under the radar. If there are rooms with two beds available they will give it to you. I had the rest of my party sit right in the lobby when I went to check in at the front desk.

Also, about security, I was at the Hilton last year with friends who were staying there and they were asked to show their room key/card at the elevators late at night.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]