NYC Restraurant Week July 10-14

newbieguy
By newbieguy,
in

I plan to be in NYC (expect to stay in MTW/Times Square area) during their restaurant week promotion.

For those familiar with the promotion, are there any restaurants on the list (particularly for dinner, preferably within reasonable distance of MTW) that are can't miss options (any cuisine)? I realize that everyone has different tastes and all, but with so many good restaurants in NYC I am hoping that others might help me narrow the scope of choices.

Many thanks!

For those who may not be familiar with Restaurant Week, twice a year numerous restaurants offer a special fix priced lunch and/or dinner. The great news is it is a way to sample some expensive restaurants on a shoestring budget. The catch is the Restaurant Week menu will have limited choices, not the full menu.

Restuarnt Week is July 10-14, and July 17-21 (Monday through Friday, no weekends). To check out what restaurants are participating, go to Opentable.com and click on the lisitng that says NY Resturant Week. You will get a list, price range, and whether or not the restuarant is offering the special for lunch, dinner or both. You can even make reservations online through opentable, very convenient.

The price of a three course meal for RW is $24.07 for lunch and $35 for dinner. I was so sorry to see that many of the top places are only offering lunch. Another thing...a lot of these places already offer a prix fixe lunch special so the RW deal for some of them, even though they are fine restaurants is not really a bargain.

That said... After my initial perusal these choices leapt out at me:

River Cafe (lunch only)... It's in Brooklyn, it faces the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan... Beautiful views, lovely restaurant, good food, lovely service. Afterwards go for a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan. WOW!

San Domenico (lunch and dinner)... Another WOW but for a different reason. This is an old time NYC Italian restaurant with tuxedoed waiters... VERY EXPENSIVE normally, and not a place I would usually go to because of the prices.. For dinner I think this is a real bargain.

Believe it or not those were the only WOWs. And that is becuase for a lot of the rest...they offer the special for lunch only, and as I mentioned above, they already have a lunch special, OR they are very good but they are also noted for their nighttime ambiance which you won't get at lunch.

That said here are a few good choices--based on food alone and not because they are an especially great deal...

Gramercy Tavern (lunch only)

Gotham Bar & Grill (lunch only)

Aquavit Dining Room (lunch only)

L'impero (lunch only)

Cafe Boulud (lunch only)

Asiate (lunch only)

China Grill (lunch only)

Kittichai (lunch only)

And finally here are a couple places that should be mentioned...just because

The Modern Bar Room (dinner only). Located at the Museum of Modern Art, a fun place to dine.

21 Club (both lunch and dinner). I believe it already has prix fixe meals, but the 21 Club is an old NY stalwart. Very popular with the older crowd.

There may be some other great spots on the list, I'm not familiar with all of them. Please report back afterwards!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]