Priceline Auto Rentals (Name-your-own-price)

BEAV
By BEAV,
in

I've been considering a 1-day car rental for either this coming Wednesday -or- Saturday from either OAK or SFO. While entering prices for all 4 scenarios (2 for OAK and 2 for SFO) the differences in taxes/fees seems quite strange. Having said that, I'm fully aware different airports/municipalities impose varying taxes on rental cars. In each scenario, I was bidding for a full-size car and always $15.

OAK 24-hour rental, Wednesday pick-up:

Bid price: $15.00

Taxes/fees: $8.79

OAK 24-hour rental, Saturday pick-up:

Taxes/fees: $16.19

SFO 24-hour rental, Wednesday pick-up:

Taxes/fees: $13.43

SFO 24-hour rental, Saturday pick-up:

Taxes/fees: $10.07

So the question is how can the taxes/fees vary at the same airport when the bid/purchase price is the same?

Also, taxes/fees appear higher in OAK for a weekend rental vs midweek, while in SFO it's just the opposite.

Is it possible local taxes are only applicable certain days of the week?

Add to that the mystery of how can taxes+fees at SFO be only $13.43, when SFO imposes a $13.50 airport transit fee per rental?

I rented a car last weekend and the Alamo contract clearly showed this $13.50 fee as included in the prepaid package, although Priceline did not charge me that.

So it looks like Priceline pick a random number for taxes/fees... causing them a loss...!

Add to that the mystery of how can taxes+fees at SFO be only $13.43, when SFO imposes a $13.50 airport transit fee per rental?

I rented a car last weekend and the Alamo contract clearly showed this $13.50 fee as included in the prepaid package, although Priceline did not charge me that.

So it looks like Priceline pick a random number for taxes/fees... causing them a loss...!

Or how about total taxes/fees of only $10.07!!

Looks like there may be:

1) problem with the calculation the program uses to compute the tax (and service fee) or...

2) rental companies providing an incentive (to Priceline) on certain slow days when they have excess cars... thus giving priceline the ability to lower/remove their fee (as they're getting paid better/enough thru the rental incentive)

I'd sooner think #1 is the more likely scenario, but both are possibilities that came to mind.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd agree scenario #1 over #2. In the case of #2 in this particular scenario, OAK taxes/fees were higher on weekend vs midweek whereas SFO was the opposite. I would think both markets would be somewhat similar with regard to supply & demand midweek vs weekend.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]