Priceline Hotel: Help with Vancouver

goodricb
By goodricb,
in

I am looking for 1 room for three nights July 20-23rd in downtown Vancouver.

I tried the following with no success but I still have some time.

Vancouver $65 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta $69 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley $73 - rejected

Vancouver, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $76 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Langley $79 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $83 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $86 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $89 - rejected

I am hoping I dont have to exceed $120. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I don't think you currently would need to exceed $120, but you're probably looking more in the $90-$110 range than under $90.

Since you're using up to eight possible bidding opportunities per cycle i would try bidding the following amounts if you're looking to increase your chances of getting this done:

$70, $85, $90, $95, $100, $103, $105, $108

Good Luck and keep us udpated as to how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For clarification why would I try a bid again at $70 and $85 when I was already rejected at $76, $79, $83. Wouldn't that be simply wasting a couple bids? Or are rooms sometimes added at lower prices at later dates and you are trying to prevent any overbidding?

Thanks for the quick response.

You got it... you want to make sure that no low priced inventory was added between your last bid and your next bid.

It's a very low probability bet, but with plenty of time before your stay it pays to give it a shot; obviously if you're stay was in 2 days we wouldn't suggest bidding those amounts again.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I tried the following with no success but I still have some time. Thanks for all the assistance

Vancouver $70 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta $80 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley $90 - rejected

Vancouver, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $93 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Langley $96 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $99 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $102 - rejected with increase of $22 for rebid.

Vancouver, Delta, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $105 - rejected - rejected with the same increase of $22 for rebid.

tried again.

Vancouver $75 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta $85 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley $90 - rejected

Vancouver, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $93 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Langley $96 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $103 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $106 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $109 - rejected

no offers for rebids. should I be worried?

I wouldn't be 'worried' just yet as there doesn't always seem to be a rhyme or reason to the counter-offers... in the same bidding cycle you can get one at $40 and then not get one at $45!

However, you are seeing that there is a risk in dragging it out and only increasing your maximum bid $2-3 from the previous attempt... inventory that may have been available could suddenly disappear (but at this point it's too early to know if this is the case in this particular situation).

Notice also how in my strategy to you after your first failed bids, only two were 'repeat bids' in the sense that they were lower than you had previously bid... whereas your latest bidding above were mostly all 'repeat bids' with only two new bids ($106 and $109). This isn't to say that your way was wrong... just not a very high probability bet or optimal use of a bidding cycle if you're concerned about getting this done/completed.

tried again.

Vancouver $86 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta $93 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley $96 - rejected

Vancouver, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $99 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Langley $103 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $106 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $109 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $112 - rejected

I am not actually too too worried I guess. I was bidding low because I saw some other winning bids for a few weeks earlier at the $95 level and I saw that the median price for a 4* fell from $303 to $252 if that means anything.

• 3 weeks later...

tried again.

Vancouver $98 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta $106 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley $111 - rejected

Vancouver, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $114 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Langley $116 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $118 - rejected

Vancouver, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $120 - rejected

Vancouver, Delta, Langley, Surrey - Pitt Meadows $122 - rejected

so sad. any suggestions on a back up plan?

I don't think you're too far off price-wise, but you're already at your maximum bid and i don't see too much offered for less than you've already bid.

You can easily check hotel direct rates in the area with our sister site: HotelsByThePier and see if any of the lower rated hotels are within your budget (and cancellable).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]