car rental one way drop off

3withmax
By 3withmax,
in

I have a winning bid on a car rental that has the same pickup/drop off location (LAX). I thought the reservation was pickup at LAX and drop off at SNA John Wayne 2 hours south of LAX. Called Priceline 2 minutes after I noticed my error. THey said that there is nothing they can do. You can't do a "bid your own price" on one way drop offs. No changes, cancellations, or refunds allowed. Called Alamo and they can't do anything, however, they said if they did try changing it price line would charge a $150 dropp off charge !! this is double the cost of the winning bid. What can I do ?

I had EXACTLY the same problem two days ago. I had entered different pickup and dropoff locations and then at the "name your own price" screen there was no explicit warning that the bid is about a rental for same pickup and dropoff location. And then of course it was too late. I spent an hour on the phone with their awful customer service. I think this can be classified as fraud since their website was definitely deceiving, and therefore I am considering disputing it with my credit card company. Has anybody been through a similar situation?

Did PL change their system? When I try to pickup at LAX and drop off at SNA it does not give me a option to bid for a car.

I just made the same inquiry entering the same pick-up/drop-off locations as you (LAX & SNA). Since Priceline's "name your own price" system has never allowed one-way rentals, my request for a different drop off location took me to their retail section. When I started over, and entered LAX as both the pick-up and drop-off location, Priceline then gave me the option of retail (choose which rental company I wanted, set price, etc) -or- "name your own price". To me, this makes perfect sense.

All of my Priceline auto rentals have been under the "name your own price" system. Once when I picked up the car in SNA, Avis honored my request to drop in LGB without any charges or penalties. On another trip, Alamo refused my request to drop in TPA (pick up city was MCO). Or I should say they would allow drop-off in TPA for a rate of $175! Since my return flight was from TPA, I simply turned in the rental car at MCO, walked to the adjacent counter at Dollar and rented with them for $22 (taxes/fees included) with no drop fee in TPA.

IMO, requesting a different drop-off location on a "name your own price" reservation is solely at the discretion of the rental car company. Priceline has no say-so in the matter. I think my experiences proved that point.

Agreed, Priceline's website is a bit confusing in this area. But since they don't allow one-way rentals on their "name your own price" product, it's no wonder they take you into the retail area of their website when you enter different cities for pick-up and drop-off in your original request. Priceline's "name your own price" system is getting harder and harder to locate as they obviously try to steer you into their retail section instead.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]