Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego (Downtown-Harbor Island) Omni

TJSF
By TJSF,
in

Hello I am a first time user of betterbidding.com and priceline. All I know is that I've read about some great hotel deals and would like to take advantage. I am looking for a 1 week stay (4 star) July 8 to July 15, 2006 in the San Diego area. It looks like the only 4 star areas are Coronado, Downtown San Diego & Harbor and San Diego coastal. All others do not appear to have 4 stars. Which I guess will allow me to rebid alot? I really don't know where to start. Any strategies you recommend?

Many Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Indeed you have 11 re-bid zones when bidding 4* in the San Diego area.

Which zone(s) are you willing to bid... any/all of those with 4* properties? What is your maximum bid? Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Let us know the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I haven't been to San Diego in awhile. I'm not really gunning for a specific hotel. The Hilton Gaslamp seems to be a crowd favorite??? Or also the Omni???? I think any of the 4 star areas would be fine. Downtown, Coronado or Coastal. We'll be driving from San Francisco so we'll have access to a car. I don't really have a maximum bid -- Perhaps $125? What does splitting your priceline bid mean? Meaning two different hotels. No, not an option. I can change travel dates from 7/8 to 7/15 to 7/9 to 7/14. Instead of a Saturday to Satuday, to a Sunday to Thursay if that helps.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

You should read the SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID thread to understand why one might want to split their bid for an extended trip... one expensive nite during your trip and prevent you from having success or a great deal. With that said, it's certainly not for everyone.

I would begin with the following:

Select 4* Downtown and Coronado and Coastal...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Downtown and Coronado and Coastal and re-bid zone7 (<--any re-bid zone you didn't previously include above)...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $125.

The above will systematically take you up to your maximum bid.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It didn't go very well at all. I went all the way up to $150 for a 4* stay Sunday 7/9 to Friday 7/14 stay. I did the first bidding like you said. Then closed my broswer went in again through Savings Barn and did more bidding on the different zones I had not previously chosen with no luck. I've been reading about such great rates that I never thought I would bid $150 and not get anything!! Is this normal? Is it because it's so far in advance? Becuase of a 5 night stay? What am I doing wrong? What to do now?

Please advise.

I'm okay if I can get all the nights except 1 at one hotel. Why do you think 7/8/06 will work...... a Satuday night? Aren't Saturdays usually higher priced? I had no luck on Sunday - Thursday. You think Saturday thru Wednesday is better than Sunday thru Thursday?

Also, am I bidding to far in advance?

Initially I checked all three 4 star areas (Coronado, Downtown & Coastal). Should I have been bidding these separately? I read somewhere that you only want to choose one destination zone at first??

What is the typical timeline of an accepted offer like my request? My expectations need to be readjusted as I was very disappointed on my first go of it.

Thanks,

I see a rate incrase on that Wed nite which is why i think you have a MUCH better chance of success if you check-out on Wednesday instead of Thursday (again, see SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID thread on further details why this can hinder your success)

You can bid all three zones at once because you have so many re-bid zones available it's not an issue.

You're timeframe of bidding now is fine, but you can read further thoughts on "when to bid" in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Most importantly... don't get frustrated, trying to save money is supposed to be fun :)

YEAH!! Thank you for your help. This morning I booked through Savings Barn a Sunday - Wed (7/9 - 7/13) 4* stay in San Diego for $95/night at the Omni. I started at $85 and rebid twice. It did offer me another chance to rebid the same area for an additional $22. I did not do this since I had so many rebid tries in this area. I couldn't believe how easy this time around was!

Any inside tips on the Omni in San Diego? I've read you can request self-parking. Any other inside tips about this hotel? It did give us the opportunity to extend our stay but then when I clicked on it, it said there was no availability? Any suggestions on this front. Ideally we would love to extend 1-2 nights on either end.

Thanks again. My early frustration is a distant memory!

Glad it worked out well for you this time around... and thank you for using the SavingsBarn.com links to begin your priceline bids.

As far as extending your stay, why not look towards a different area of San Diego and/or another hotel for two (or more) nites... give you an opportunity to see/experience a different part of the city or spend two more nites in a different 'mode' of vacation (such as resort/relaxation vs. sightseeing)?

If you want to pursue an additional stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Congratulations again on your winning bid above and have a great stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]