Priceline Hotel: Looking for Midtown West

BKerrigan
By BKerrigan,
in

Is MTW the only zone you'll consider? You don't have much time to 'play' with this so before i suggest a strategy i just want to know if you'd also consider MTE and/or CPS?

Also, are you familiar with and understand Re-Bidding?

Let me know and i'll add the appropriate strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would just like to be close, so I figured that MTW would be the best. I would rather spend a couple of dollars more and be closer. Getting a Taxi with two kids is sometimes problematic when the theater lets out.

I am familiar with the re-bidding process.. since I have read many of your posts! :)

Rates are high for this nite.

If only bidding MTW i would try $120, if rejected add your re-bid zone and try $140.

My own .02:

If i were bidding for myself, i would be open to adding other zones since you don't have a lot of time to try this again if you fail. If so, this is what i would be do:

4* MTW...

Bid $95, if rejected add

MTE and bid $120, if rejected add

CPS and bid $130, if rejected add

MTS and bid $140, if rejected add

re-bid zonea and bid $150.

I picked $150 as an upper limit as that just seems to be a 'good' number for many people. If the above numbers seem way too high for what you wanted to spend let me know and i'll re-adjust. If the prices seem lower than you expected to pay and you'd rather pay up (and have a better chance at success) than let me know that as well. Based upon the rates i'm seeing there is a chance the above prices may be too low. :) What is the maximum you'd want to bid and what is your back-up plan (if your maximum is substantially different than $150 then let me know and i'll reply again... i forgot to ask you in previous post)

If you only want to try the the 4* MTW only bid and are rejected, post back and i'll post a follow-up strategy to that one (if so, DON"T follow the second strategy on your own)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was about to put in my first bid, and I noticed that it confirms for two adults. I have two adults and two children (12 and 13). Will this be a problem?

Also, my maximum is probably around $180. Does this change the bidding strategy? Of course I want the best deal possible, but I also want a room. :)

Priceline only guarantees sleeping accomodations for 2 people, after that it's at the descrition of the hotel. Most hotels don't have a problem with more than 2 people in a room if available, but in NYC it could be a problem as the city is notorious for small rooms, some of which can't accomodate a roll-away bed.

Are your kids young enough that, in a worst case scenario, sleeping on the floor would gather the response "i ain't doing that" or "cool.. camping!"

I'd adjust the bidding strategy above somewhat but i'd need to have a better idea of which route you plan on taking (MTW only or the multiple zones?.. would you bid MTW only and then if rejected try the other zones?... what is your back-up plan if you're not successful with Priceline (or maybe Priceline isn't an option anymore since they can only guarantee double occupancy)) Let me know your thoughts and i'll respond with what i would do if i were in your shoes.

Ultimately it's a risk that you'll have to decide if it's worth taking.

Here's some additional threads you may be interested in reading (if you have the time and desire):

4 People in a Room at Additional Cost

Quad Occupancy

Woo Hoo! Glad you got it!

They'll have the reservation <almost> immediately so you can call now. The good news is that this hotel is not one of those that can't fit a roll-a-way bed, so i think you should be ok (you can improve your chances by checking-in earlier in the day, as close to or slightly before 'official' check-in time.... if it's before check-in time and no two bed rooms are avaiable ask if something will be available if you waited and have them hold your luggage). If you not already a member, you should sign up for HHonors at their website. You're not officially entitled to perks (sometimes you can get them) but it may help with your room preference request (but more importantly be NICE to the check-in clerk and if you bring your kids to the desk, make sure they behave themselves adn have them put on their cutest faces :) ) I don't think the construction is due to start until after the first of the year.

If you have trouble getting a cab home from the show, you can also try to get the M104 bus along Broadway (which turns onto 42nd St and heads east) or the M42 bus which runs along 42nd St and will drop you infront of the hotel (subway is another very convenient option), but depending upon the age of your children it's certainly walkable. A taxi should only cost you about $5 and for a family of 4 the bus/subway will actually cost more, but i mention them in case there is a LOT of traffic or you can't get a cab.

Also, if you're up for walking or a short cab ride away, Ess-A-Bagel on Third Ave (by 51st St) is a great inexpensive breakfast... best bagel in town and they have tables so you can grab what you want from the counter and then sit at a table.

Enjoy the show and your time in the city. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]