Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (Coastal) Holiday Inn Mission Bay-Sea World

pugsimon
By pugsimon,
in

Hi, I am very frustrated with Priceline. I bid for a 3 or 4 star hotel in san diego and according to their description of 3 stars, it says "Upscale" hotel along the lines of Hyatt and Sheraton, among a few others. They have restaurants, gyms, etc.

So imagine my surprise when they accepted my bid for $100 and I find out that the supposed 3 star upscale hotel is a giant motel in a bad neighborhood. The motel has exterior doors and had horrible ratings from both Priceline members and members on other message boards. They all say that it's definitely not a 3 star hotel and it's dirty, unsafe, etc.

I feel like I have been cheated and misled and tried calling Priceline twice to ask them to either book another hotel or refund my money. Of course they pretended to look for something else and then came back with nothing, saying that if I get to the property and it's unsafe, I can call then and see what they can do.

I am at the the point that I will dispute the charge with my VISA because I feel like they misrepresented this hotel in order to get the business. I would never have bid for 3 stars had I known that this motel was a possibility.

Any experience with credit card disputes regarding Priceline?

Welcome. Please see the following:

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

Sorry about that. I got the Holiday Inn Mission Bay (by Seaworld) for 6/4 - 6/7 (Sun-Wed). It is supposedly a "3 star upscale" according to Priceline, but clearly it is a motel. Certainly not what anyone would expect from a 3 star upscale hotel. And like I said, the reviews are mostly horrible and they stated that this hotel is hardly of 3 star quality. Thanks.

Well, I have to respectfully disagree. When Priceline says 3 star UPSCALE, you can't put this motel in there. Just because some people liked it (probably have never stayed in a nicer place and doesn't know any better) doesn't make it nice. I think that I was ripped.

I've been inside the Mission Bay Holiday Inn. It has three-star written all over it. It's an above average property, nice pool, the grounds are in great shape, and it has a large lobby and sitting area.

Like any three star, these amenities come with carpet and drapes that are a few years old (think 2000-ish, not 1960's), hotel-class towels, and an average staff -- an overall three-star experience.

The PRICELINE link explaining three star hotels (which I would link to, but I think it's verboten here) do include the hotels you mention (Hyatt, Sheraton), but also mention Holiday Inn (which you apparently write off as "among others").

I find it hard to take your complaints seriously, seeing as how you haven't even visited the hotel yet. Perhaps it's not as bad as you think?

It's in the Coastal Zone Wally (at the very, very tip, far away from most of the nice beach cities)

Yes, I have been at the "hotel" yet, but just from the pictures and reviews (you can't ignore them), it's obviously that it is a MOTEL not a hotel. I'm sorry, but a motel with exterior doors is NOT THE SAME as a 3 star hotel. I don't really care about carpets and drapes as long as they are clean. I care about my security and the overall appearance.

I didn't write off Holiday Inn as you suggested. There are some holiday Inns that are along the lines with sheraton and Hyatt, however, NOT this one. Just because there are some nice holiday inns that are 3 stars, doesn't mean that all of them are. That's my complaint. There is another holiday inn in San Diego that is a regular hotel. This one is MOTEL, plain and simple.

I Did do my research. It says CLEARLY "3 star upscale" I got a MOTEL. There is no such thing as a upscale motel in my book. Period!!!!

I know you'll never agree wtih me since it seems that you always take the side of Priceline, but I think I can find many, many people who agree with me that this is unacceptable

It's unfortunate that you are so unhappy with your assigned hotel. However, this is the risk that one takes when using Priceline's opaque service. A standardized rating system doesn't exist, so the only standards Priceline must conform to are their own:

3 Star hotels will have the following amenities:

Remote Control TV with Premium Channels

Telephone with Voicemail

Radio Alarm Clock

Iron and Ironing Board

Hairdryer

Business Services

24 Hour Front Desk

Restaurant

Room Service

We have heard of several folks who disputed charges UNSUCCESSFULLY. I'm not sure I've ever heard of some one doing that successfully, except perhaps if they were walked to another hotel upon arrival.

Priceline is certainly not for everyone. Good luck with your trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]