Priceline Hotel: 4* Philadelphia (Downtown) Hyatt Regency Penns Landing

bdub2001
By bdub2001,
in

The Hyatt Penns' Landing may be releasing its low-priced Priceline rooms only at the last minute.

Like you, I was unsuccessful at bids up to $80 in the weeks before my 4/20 visit. On the afternoon of 4/20 though, I drove into Philly without a reservation, went straight to the hotel, told the valet parking people I would be just a couple minutes, went inside, asked the front desk if they had an internet access terminal I could use, was shown to the Business Center, logged onto a computer there ($5 for 10 minutes), bid $60 for a 4* in the area and won the hotel. For grins I also checked the Hyatt website, which told me the same room would cost me $169. I went straight from the Business Center to the Front Desk and checked in. The clerk didn't even blink. I got a great room on the 9th floor with a view of the river and the Ben Franklin bridge. Parking was steep though, $26 for valet with in/out privileges; $20 self park, no in/out.

My 9 year old daughter and I used our savings to sample a couple of Philly's famous cheese steak joints. Geno's was first -- Mary Claire said their sandwich tasted "just like Subway's" (not a compliment) and I agreed. Wonder-bread style roll, small portion of tasteless beef, no flavor to the Provolone. If I hadn't added hot peppers, the sandwich would have had no flavor at all! I was all set to write off Phiily cheesesteaks as overrated, but Tony Luke's saved the City of Brotherly Love's reputation with a much better sandwich.

Anybody know if Pat's makes a better cheesesteak than Geno's?

bdub2001, this is great information about how one might be successful in bidding for the Hyatt, but it is lost in this thread, maybe thereuare can move it to a new post.

Mary Claire said their sandwich tasted "just like Subway's"

Wow, I actually let out a gasp after reading this.......subway finishes baking its own frozen, par-baked rolls in its stores, but they "warm up" the pre cooked beef in a steamer or microwave, no match for the sizzle of a grill. Hopefully you ordered your cheesesteak "wit"....which is short for "with fried onions".

The Pats vs. Geno's topic has really nothing to do with taste as it has more to do with where you had your first cheesesteak. If you were raised on Pat's, you would never go to Geno's and so on. I haven't been on Passyunk Ave in a while, maybe it's time for me to go, but I favor Geno's. They supposedly use the rib eye section, I'm not sure what Pat's uses. Unless Geno's has changed their bread purveyor, they typically use an Italian roll that has a decent crust (not overly crispy) on the outside, pillow soft on the inside. Too bad that you didn't stop by John's on Weccacoe Street, about a mile from the Hyatt, just off Columbus Blvd. They have a one of the best cheesesteaks in Philly, better than Pats or Genos. While I've been to Tony Lukes many times, I've never had their steak. The must-have sandwich is the Roast Pork Italian with sharp provalone topped with Broccoli Rabe sauteed with garlic and olive oil.

Hammer --

Thanks for the advice. You were one of the Better Bidding guides who first helped me get a room on Priceline (back in those blessed days when the Hyatt in Jersey City had $39 rooms!).

I'm back in Philly this weekend and will try either Pat's or John's for a cheesesteak ("wit," of course) and a roast pork sandwich at Tony Luke's, your description of which literally had my mouth watering.

This morning I got 2 rooms at the Hyatt Penn's Landing this Friday night at $60 apiece, which I will separately post.

Thanks again for all your help.

ahhh, those were the days!!! JC Hyatt for $37 and up......

Well done with the Penns Landing Hyatt! Its also very close to the Chart House where the view is better than the food. Columbus Blvd. has many water front watering holes, I think Rock Lobster should be open by now.

Here is the "proper" name: John's Roast Pork, Weccacoe and Synder Avenues (tel. 215/463-1951), I would go here first for the cheesesteak and then hit Tony Lukes for a Roast Pork Italian....I've ruined a few ties in the process...don't eat this while driving as it is to be savored.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]