Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Convention Center-Capitol Hill) Hyatt Regency

kjkeys88
By kjkeys88,
in

Hello,

I'm a Priceline novice, limited to a few unsuccesful bids earlier this year.

I'll be staying in Washington this June, from Tuesday the 27th to the 29th. I won't have a car, so I'll be limiting my bids to washington proper and perhaps Crystal City.

Looking at this forum, I don't see many succesful bids over one hundred dollars, I'd be real happy to pay $100 dollars for three stars, or 125 for four. That seems ridiculously cheap...but i guess this is the beauty of priceline?

I'm not sure when i should start bidding, or how, so, all advice is very welcome. I've enjoyed browsing through the site, and i'll contniue to do so. Thanks for any potential help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'll be limiting my bids to washington proper...
To avoid confusion, let us know which zones you are willing to bid using the names Priceline uses to describe them. I'm assuming (White House-Downtown) and/or (Convention Center-Capitol Hill) are ok... any others?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your response.

I'm be happy in the following: Convention Ctr - Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle - Woodley Park, Georgetown - Foggy Bottom, and White House - Downtown. I'd also be ok in Crystal City, if it comes to that, but the others are non starters.

Thanks again for your help.

Rates are high for your dates so this start with the following and see how it goes.

At the 4* level you have three re-bid zones avaialable, at the 3* you only have one. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Convention Center..

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* White House-Downtown..

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Dupont Circle..

Select 4* Georgetown...

Select 4* Convention Center and White House...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Dupont and Georgetown...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Convention Center and White House and Dupont...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Convention Center and White House and Georgetown

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125.

====================================================================

If the above is rejected and you then want to try for a 3* (before adding Crystal City at the 4* level)...

Select 3* Convention Center...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* White House...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Dupont Circle...

Select 3* Georgetown...

Select 3* Convention Center and White House...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Dupont Circle and Georgetown...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Convention Center and Georgetown...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Dupont Circle and White House...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Convention Center and White House and Dupont Circle...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Convention Center and White House and Georgetown...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Convention Center and White House and Dupont Circle and Georgetown...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello,

First, thanks for all the help.

I've worked through all the four star bids you've proscribed, no accepted bid yet. I'll work on the 3 star bids later this afternoon.

I do have a strategy question though. It seemed like I made multiple bids for all four geographic locations at the same dollar level.

For instance, starting with Convention Center, I'd add all of the rebid zones and get to a 75 dollar bid, then do the same starting with white house, finishing with all zones and a bid of 75 dollar bid. Is there a reason to expect the second 75 dollar bid to be accepted when the first wasnt? Just curious, thanks again, I'll let yo uknow how three star bidding goes.

I do have a strategy question though. It seemed like I made multiple bids for all four geographic locations at the same dollar level... tor instance, starting with Convention Center, I'd add all of the rebid zones and get to a 75 dollar bid, then do the same starting with white house

If you followed the strategy above correctly, when you started with the Convention Center up to $75, the White House zone was never included in those bids. When you started the second round of bidding you included the White House zone, therefore you could have won a bid at $75 in the White House area.

Does it make more sense now?

Yea, much clearer now. Definitely wasn't paying close enough attention to the link you provided earlier. Just to triple check, per your instructions I would select Convention Center, bid $60, then add Alexandria (which, when selected by itself does not offer 4*), bid 65, then add Springfield etc.

In another thread you suggested splitting the bid. I'm perfectly happy to do that, so I'm going to run through the 4* sequence again with the days separately. Half to see if it works, and half to be able to claim mastery of re-bid procedures.

Again, thanks for the help.

Success!

At least partially. I did split the days up, as I mentioned earlier, and had a $65 bid accepted for the Hyatt Regency on the second night, 6.28. I of course elected to bid for the same hotel for the previous night, but was denied. (seems to me they should allow you to change your bid amount at that point, wouldn't people be willing to pay a significant amount more to stay in the same hotel?) I've also checked Hyatt's website to check on availability for the first night, all that remains is a Club Room with a cool 500 a night rate.

Thanks again for the help. Do you recommend waiting a couple days and giving 4* another shot (for the first night?) I'd be willing to bid higher now, at least 150.

What is the address of the Hyatt you won? Is this the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill in the (Convention Center - Capitol Hill) zone or the Crystal City location? The Park Hyatt (in the Georgetown zone) is the one that is going for $495/nite on the 29th... is that what you won?

What was the amount of your previously rejected bid?

Please start a NEW TOPIC for the balance of your stay and we'll take it from there.

Thanks... that's the one i saw too, but looking at a map doesn't appear to be on Rhode Island Avenue (thought maybe it was on a corner or intersection... with the address of New Jersey Avenue but 'known' as on Rhode Island Ave). We'll go with that one for now unless we hear otherwise.

Not to be obnoxious about this, but it does seem relevant to future bidders to note that Priceline has the Hyatt Regency at the 4 star level. The bid was for a four star hotel, the acceptance page reads:

"Your Price Has Been Accepted

Congratulations, you got your price of $65 for a 4-star hotel room."

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]