Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC MTW New York Hilton and Towers

texashornsfan
By texashornsfan,
in

We have booked two times with Priceline in Austin and had great success. We are traveling to NYC on January 1 - 5 and would like suggestions as where to start with bidding for that time.

We would prefer MTW and this is what the hotels are going for on their websites:

4*

Marriott Marquis $189

Millennium Broadway $179.95

Renaissance $175

Westin NY Times Square $189

MTE is great too, but we are nervous about the hotel with construction that everyone keeps talking about.

So sorry if we don't have the format correct...we're new!! We love this sight, it is so very helpful.

We love this sight, it is so very helpful.

Ahh, flattery will get your everywhere!

Rates don't seem too bad. Are you also open to Upper Midtown or MTS? I think you're referring to the Grand Hyatt which will have construction after the first of the year, and that's in the MTE zone. No way to specifically avoid that hotel other than not bidding the zone. Do you want to avoid that zone all together?

Generally speaking, at the 4* level, MTE has the lowest accepted bids, followed by MTW, then UM/CPS, and finally MTS. It would be best to include these in your bidding process to maximize the number of bids you place each bidding cycle (especially if you don't want to include MTE). Again generalizing, the 'nicest' hotels are in the UM/CPS zone and if you happen to end up with one of those for a cheap rate it's usually a great deal (so i would recommend including UM/CPS in your bidding process, whether you also want to include MTS is up to you). BUT, i'm not the one staying in the city and i don't know if these areas fit well with your plans. If you haven't seen it, i've written a description of all the area which you can read here: NYC Zone Descriptions

Let me know if you're open to the other zones mentioned above and i'll provide a strategy for you to follow. Also, what is the maximum you want to bid?

Thanks again for your comments, they're much appreciated!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would definitely be willing to add UM to our zones, but I'm hesitant about MTE with the Grand Hyatt. But if it is cheap enough, we won't be in the room that much anyway. Have people really complained enough to avoid it?

I think our maximum bid would be around $110 because I know we can get the Belvedere for $130 and some friends just stayed there and loved the location and said it was nice. Do you think that is too low?

Thanks for your help.

Well i think the Belvedere is rated 3* so it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison, but we can try. I think i would try going up to $120 for a 4* just because we've some bids accepted at that rate that were rejected at prior levels, but i don't tell other people how to spend their money. A successful bid at $120 would cost you about the same at the Belvedere (after Pricelne's fee) and you'll be getting a better rated hotel.

This is how i would proceed:

Select 4*

MTW and bid $95, if rejected add...

CPS/UM and bid $110, if rejected add...

MTS and bid $115, if rejected add...

re-bid zone and bid $120.

(if you don't want to go up to $120 as suggested, i would use the following prices $95, $100, $105, $110. I assumed that the MTS zone was also 'ok', but if not just disregard that zone and the bid amount that went with it)

Regarding the Grand Hyatt... i think it gets a bad rap. Sure some complaints are justified, but it's a business hotel and you're just not going to get the personalized service that some people are looking for. In our HOTEL REVIEW section there are two reviews of the NYC Grand Hyatt that are favorable (but i didn't include the MTE zone since you said you didn't think you'd want it)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have regardng the above and let us know how you make out.

Good Luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

First bid was MTW $95 - accepted!

Congratulations, you got your price of $95 for a 4-star hotel room.

New York Hilton and Towers

MTW

1335 Avenue of the Americas

New York, NY 10019

212-586-7000

Check-In Date: 1/1/04

Check-In Time: 3:00pm

Check-Out Date: 1/5/04

Check-Out Time: 12:00pm

Your offer price: $95.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 4

Subtotal: $380.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $64.65

Total Charges: $444.65

Thanks for your help! We are excited we got a great hotel on the first bid.

• 2 weeks later...
WOW....congrats

I'm still new to this, but those prices don't resemble the prices I'm seeing in NYC for 1st week of December at all. I wish I could land a great deal like that. Enjoy!

I have been trying to get two nights at NTW (Nov.28-29) at a price for $95, using strategies (re-bid with different zones) given by this website. No luck so far (at least three failures). Should I raise the limit now? I still have some time (see post under

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]