Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Dupont Circle-Woodley Park) Omni Shoreham

CrazyOne
By CrazyOne,
in

Time for some more bidding, it seems. I was making these arrangements at last minute, checked and checked the crazy hotel rates from regular sources. When I kept finding things like $300 for the (nice, granted, but still) Courtyard I stayed at for 99 bucks direct from Marriott last December, I figured I'd bid. I couldn't find anything I wanted through standard booking places for under $200, which is the threshold that pushes me towards using Priceline even for this biz travel.

All this bidding was last night, late on 5/1 eastern time and spilling past midnight so that my billing date is actually 5/2. I started playing with 4* Arlington trying to get the new Westin (I've still never stayed in one), but when I bid up to $103 with no hit, I backed off and started trying with 4* Dupont-Woodley instead (ultimately including both). I think once I started with Dupont-Woodley I bid $85, then $92, then $99. I went in big chunks because it'll still be work paying, and I don't have time to wait for bidding again.

I was actually kinda hoping for the Westin Embassy Row, but I'll take this, should be fine for a couple nights. Omni is new to me as well. And with any luck (read: as long as I don't need to lug anything heavy) I can hop the Metro a couple stops to the office each morning.

(BTW, I can't 100% remember the convention for listing the dates in the thread title. It's two nights beginning on 5/3. Hotels usually say 5/3-5/5, or they say 5/3 for 2 nights. So I guess this is okay.)

Subtotal: $198

Tax/Fee: $36.60

Total: $234.60

Omni's booking has been down this morning, but on Travelocity"]Travelocity they're trying to hawk a "Good Buy" low rate guarantee of $369/night for this place on these dates!

The place is pretty full. There is some kind of event, with people beginning to arrive today and checking out Friday. So I don't really know why I have a PL room except that perhaps the last minute worked in my favor. (Take all they can at 300 bucks and try to fill a few final scattered rooms at the last minute for 100 bucks.) I don't know how worn my room is compared to others, but it has a few imperfections, so maybe they are known less desirable rooms. (It's also on a low floor, overlooking mainly the parking lot though behind it I can see the Taft Bridge and such.) Still, it's fine for the price. And the wireless internet is free, unlike some other places at this level which still ding you $10 or more per day.

Just goes to show the Priceline can still net you some insane savings in certain circumstances. This is the kind of circumstance that makes it worthwhile.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]