Priceline Hotel: San Juan - April 2004

diane345
By diane345,
in

Need one night pre-cruise April 17th. Hotwire is showing 3-1/2* for this date at $134. Judging from icons looks like Wyndham Condado. Would really like WOSJ but they only accept 2 nights which I don't want. I would also accept the Hilton but don't see it on Hotwire. The recent bids accepted on Priceline are very attractive but what are my chances of getting a price under $100 at either of these places closer to April and when should I start bidding (Priceline) or reserving (Hotwire). Which is the better route for San Juan PL or HW.

Diane

In my experience, the Hilton has been releasing inventory later and later (anywhere from 3-8 weeks before check-in date, most often about a month or so). The Condado Plaza seems to offer 'cheap' inventory a little further out, sometimes as much as 3 months or more.

No guarantees, but i would think you'll see cheaper prices closer to check-in. If you're one of those people that won't be able to sleep at nite knowing that you don't currently have a hotel for your April cruise, and your happy with the Condado Plaza, then you can grab it now while it's available.

If you're comfortable waiting and hoping for a different hotel (like the Hilton) and/or cheaper rates, than i would recommend waiting (which is what i would do if i were in your shoes). In the meantime, book a fully cancellable back-up and continue to keep an eye on Hotwire. When you start to see more hotels offered and prices drop somewhat, it's time to start bidding on Priceline (or take one of the Hotwire deals).

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. Please keep us updated as to new information in your searches and let us know when we can be of more help. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the info. Just to be safe I booked the Howard Johnson fully refundable for $101 + tax. The description of the location says it is close to Old San Juan. Do you know where Isla Verda Ave is in Carolina City, San Juan? I want to be as close to Olsd San Juan as possible. When you stayed at the Hilton how much extra did you pay for taxes and fees? Did the hotel charge more on top of what you already paid?

As far as i know the Isla Verde section is near the airport, which although not too far from Old San Juan, i wouldn't exactly call it close. For the most part, no matter where you stay (with the exception of Wyndahm's Old San Juan) you will need to take a taxi to get there.

Here is a MAP of Puerto Rico and you can see Isla Verde on the right part of the map and Old San Juan on the left side of the map. The map is a little deceptive from the standpoint that the island isn't really that big, but as you can see i wouldn't call it 'close'.

The closest 'resort' properties to OSJ are the Caribe Hilton and the Condado Plaza. The Normandie is next door to the Hilton so that too is close, but i wouldn't classify it as a resort.

The Hilton charged a resort fee of $3.90/room (somehow my parents were charged $4.00 for their room, not a big deal but if done electronically i wonder why the difference). They also add $1/nite to donate to a children's charity, but you can have removed for the asking.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]