Priceline Hotel: What's going on in Washington, DC during May?

grizparker
By grizparker,
in

I've seen a couple posts about having bad luck searching for hotels during May in DC. Does anyone have any insight on what is going on that would make the hotels so expensive. I've tried for a solid week to book a hotel on 5/13 - 5/17. So far, I've only searched for 4* hotels.....and I've bid up to $125. This is really my limit on how much I can spend ($600 after taxes and fees).

Any information anyone has on what is going on or what a good alternative solution is would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Probably college commencements have something to do with it: American Univresity- 5/14; Georgetown - 5/18-21; and George Washington - 5/19-21.

One thing I could suggest would be to add Arlington to your bidding at 4*. There is only one 4* in that zone, the Westin Arlington Gateway, a nice new place just outside of DC right near a Metro stop with easy access into the city. The area around the hotel and in neighboring Clarenden is fairly vibrant and enjoyable it its own right. Their rates are very high for your dates - $399, but who knows, you may get lucky.

If that doesn't work, you might be able get a 3* in Arlington for perhaps as low as $55. Will you have a car?

• 2 weeks later...

I will be flying and will not have a car. I was hoping to stay close enough to a Metro to not have to have a car. This trip is completely for leisure (monuments and such) so I would love to stay as close to it all as possible. I might have to lower to 3 star and try agiain...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]